Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina problems with changing admin password in settings

I am not looking for a work around. I am looking for Apple to reply that they have recreated the problem and are working on a solution. We should be able to change passwords from System Preferences without using the terminal or entering recovery mode. Recovery Mode and Terminal should not be the response to standard functionality on my Mac.

The problem is System Preferences/Users & Groups/Admin/Change Password

The password for the account "xxxxxx" was not changed.

Your system administrator may not allow you to change your password or there was some other problem with your password. Contact the system administrator for help.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 5:54 PM

I'm not able to duplicate what you're describing. If you are the current user, and you have Admin privileges, and that Mac is not otherwise managed using MDM, then you can change your own password exactly as you describe.

We should be able to change passwords from System Preferences without using the terminal or entering recovery mode.

Correct. If it is not working in that manner then Contact Support.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 5:54 PM in response to mannoonesees

I'm not able to duplicate what you're describing. If you are the current user, and you have Admin privileges, and that Mac is not otherwise managed using MDM, then you can change your own password exactly as you describe.

We should be able to change passwords from System Preferences without using the terminal or entering recovery mode.

Correct. If it is not working in that manner then Contact Support.

Apr 25, 2020 5:01 PM in response to mannoonesees

mannoonesees wrote:

I am not looking for a work around. I am looking for Apple to reply ...

Apple is not going to reply to anything here in a User to User forum.

Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

You are invited to send Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

however you will get no reply there either, unless it is technical issue where troubleshooting and diagnostics are required to sort the issue.

good luck

Apr 25, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Old Toad

buddy you're not alone with this

ice tried everything on the support page.

when chatted with an online apple support person they asked me " why do I want to change the password" I replied " with all due respect I don't see why you need to ask me that question but if you must know its because my roommate found out my password and I don't want him using my computer "

the support professional didn't respond and just ended the chat ... after it took me over an hour to get one to talk to

Catalina problems with changing admin password in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.