Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the new iOS 13.4.1 support iTunes sync prior to Catalina?

Thanks.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 1:44 PM

I am running iTunes 12.8.2.3 OS High Sierra 10.13.6

The iphone is not showing in iTunes, no matter what I do. I demonstrated to Apple senior advisor screen share and he said that he is been getting many calls with the same issue. When I connect to iMac I get 2 messages:

1. Could not send messages to the device
  2. Could not read from device

Here is a discussion where people have the same issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251233548

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Phil0124

I am running iTunes 12.8.2.3 OS High Sierra 10.13.6

The iphone is not showing in iTunes, no matter what I do. I demonstrated to Apple senior advisor screen share and he said that he is been getting many calls with the same issue. When I connect to iMac I get 2 messages:

1. Could not send messages to the device
  2. Could not read from device

Here is a discussion where people have the same issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251233548

Apr 8, 2020 1:11 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

These are system requirements to sync an iOS device running iOS 13.

• Syncing to a Mac or a PC requires:
    • macOS Catalina 10.15 using the Finder
    • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
    • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.9 or later (free download from itunes.com/download)

It works with El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave.

Apr 9, 2020 5:02 PM in response to deggie

1. Reset SMC,
  2. PRAM,
  3. New user
  4. Delete the iTunes preference files
  5. Change the USB wire

Hooked up my iPhone to another iMac High Sierra, and message popped up: "A Software Update is Required to Connect to iPhone"

So I did that to see if my other iMac works However, after a while, I got another alert:"Installation failed: ."Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the software server"

I found this online:

Since macOS is not compatible with the iOS version that your iPhone is using, to get iPhone working with iTunes, you should:

• Get the newest macOS that works with your Mac. For example, if you are using macOS 10.13 High Sierra, update it to macOS 10.14 Mojave.

I doubt about Mojave either.

So Apple Senior advisor gave up and said: 'Since I support Catalina, I can only suggest installing it and sync with the finder"

This is the end of the story

Apr 8, 2020 2:42 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

Probably because its not easy to replicate.

i.e it may be a case of specific configuration on the affected computers.

As I said works perfectly fine for me. So its hard to believe its an actual issue with 13.4.1 or itunes 12.8 they can actually identify, let alone fix.

If it works for some, but not others means something other that the software is at fault. Otherwise it would not work for anybody.

And note, I'm not saying it isn't happening. I'm just saying it may just be the result of something Apple can't fix.

May 10, 2020 12:14 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

When you get the installation error it is because the OS release date was a while ago and you lose permissions after a period of time. To fix this, just change the date on your computer to something in the past when the OS was new and try updating again. Then after update, change date back to current date. This worked for me when I installed High Sierra on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.