Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Valid Apple ID Not Accepted For iCloud On MacBook Air

I've tried to sign in to iCloud on my MacBook Air for the first time using my Apple ID that I have used for years.

It won't accept that ID.

The message I get is the ID I used is not an email address.

The ID I have used for years has never been an email address and has always been the same ID and password.

I've used this ID to sign in to iTunes, and FaceTime on my, iPhone, and iPad.

With the exception of iCloud, I use that ID to sign in to the same apps on my MBA.

It also works to sign in to iTunes on my desktop PC.

Used the ID to sign in to this site on my MBA .

Why is iCloud on my MBA asking to use my verified email as my Apple ID and not accepting the ID I have used for years on the other Apple devices?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 6:22 PM

Similar questions

20 replies

Apr 11, 2020 9:36 AM in response to P Fleming

Hello P Fleming,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to log in to iCloud on your MacBook Air.

iCloud is an important feature to access your personal information and I'd like for you to have a seamless experience. I'll be happy to help.

An Apple ID is an email address you use to sign into iCloud. Here's two helpful articles with that information: About your Apple ID email addresses and Where can I use my Apple ID?

You mentioned having an iPhone. Just to be sure, I encourage for you to locate the Apple ID account that's signed in on your iPhone, by going to Settings > tap your name at the top. At the top of the screen, you'll notice your full name and the email address. That email address is your Apple ID account that is tied to iCloud. I recommend attempting to use that email address on your MacBook Air and see if you can sign in successfully to iCloud.

In addition, you can log in to the Apple ID account page by using a web browser to see if you can sign in without any issues. Here's the link: Apple ID account page

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind regards.

Apr 12, 2020 12:40 PM in response to P Fleming

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Apr 11, 2020 10:27 AM in response to P Fleming

An Apple ID is an email address. For example, name@icloud.com and name@yahoo.com are Apple IDs/email addresses. You say: "The message I get is the ID I used is not an email address." It sounds to me like you tried to sign in with something that does not have the form of the Apple IDs I mention above.

To get somewhere on you question, tell us about the form of what you tried to sign in with? Is the form name@iCloud.com, name@ime.com; or name@mac.com, or is it a third-party Apple ID such as name@yahoo.com? Or something else?

Apr 11, 2020 6:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric is right.

A email address wasn't required at the time when I created my Apple ID.

Needing to use a email address as my Apple ID to sign in on my Mac, was new to me,

I was Leery of doing it as I figured it would conflict with the Apple ID I have always used.

Took the chance and things went smoothly.

Now my email address is accepted on all my devices as my Apple ID.

Thanks for all the replies.

Now, if someone can solve the mystery of why I can't FaceTime a particular contact using my MacBook Air but I can using my phone and iPad!

Apr 12, 2020 12:36 PM in response to Eric Root

I have checked the block sender list and there are no blocked senders listed.

I have removed all contacts from my contact list , restarted the the MB, entered the contacts back in, restarted the MB and still can't FT this contact on the MB.

Signed out of and back into FT multiple times.

I'm not the most tech savvy person but usually I can figure issues like this out but no matter what I've tried, nothing works.

This contact is signed into FT on their MB and they can FT me from it.

The only little bit of progress I have made is after I did sign into iCloud on my MB, I entered in this contacts info and now when I try to FT them I at least get the "call" option to turn green which it wasn't doing prior to that.

This only happens if I stay signed into iCloud.

But even though the call option tab is green and I try to call, nothing happens.

So as things stand now, the call option tab is green when signed into iCloud but doesn't function and the video tab is still grayed out no matter if I'm signed into iCloud or not.

The fact that I can FT this contact using my phone and iPad but not my MB doesn't make sense to me.

I am connected to the same Wi-Fi network when using the MB and iPad.

Phone is using cell data.

Mojave with all current updates is what I'm using on my MB and the contact is using High Sierra.

I can FT all other contacts in my list using the MB and the other devices.

Apr 12, 2020 3:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Hey Eric

Your suggestion of setting up another admin user account solved the problem.

Thanks very much.

I think I also know what I was doing wrong regarding not being able to do a FT call.

I didn't have a particular setting active on my phone was the issue I think.

Any explanation as to why creating the second admin account fixed the FT issue?

Apr 12, 2020 5:37 PM in response to Eric Root

Tried safe mode in my normal user account and the FT issue persists.

My guess then is that based on what you have said in your latest reply, these are the following things that might be causing the problem in my normal account.

Except for the following listed items, I have not installed anything (apart from OS updates) else since I've had this MB.

My email client

Photoshop CC, Lightroom Classic CC, Adobe BridgeCC, and Flash Player.

I've had this MB for a few years now and have had the above items installed on it for roughly the same amount of time.

Last weekend was the first time I attempted to use FT on this Mac and that's when I noticed the problem.

I have Photoshop/Lightroom updates to do so I'll do those and see if that makes a difference in my normal admin account.

Will check into FlashPlayer as I haven't received any update notifications in quite a while now that I think of it.

Was thinking about deleting and then reinstalling the email client but will leave that as a last resort.

Apr 13, 2020 7:01 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

I may give this a try at some point and post the results but right now I'm happy with the ability to FT this contact using the second admin account created as per your suggestion.

I want to avoid going down a rabbit hole scenario by looking into this issue in more detail and what it might take to fix it.

It was frustrating for the past week trying to find a solution to this issue.

Regards

Valid Apple ID Not Accepted For iCloud On MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.