Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 6,1 (White Polycarbonate) cannot boot

Have not used my Macbook very much lately, but needed to take it out again for my kids online learning. It's been working fine for about a week, but one day it shut down on itself after logging in. From then on, I am unable to reboot. Most of the time it just would shut off after the gray apple logo, but sometimes I would see a screen like this:

I've tried resetting the PRAM, resetting the SMC, but none helped. Safe mode, or recovery mode wasn't available. I've taken the drive out and booted it up as an external drive on my macmini and it booted fine.

I no longer have the original installation CD and is unable to burn one.

What else can I try to revive the computer or is it just dead?

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 1:29 PM

The Kernel Panic mentions possible bad memory. I would try re-seating the memory or at least make sure both memory modules are locked into place by pressing on each one.

If this doesn't help, then the memory slot nearest the Bottom Case may be bad. Overtime the solder joints on the memory slot nearest the Bottom Case can become cracked and give intermittent memory errors. Pressing on the center of the Bottom Case will usually make the laptop freeze if the solder joints are bad. Removing the memory from this slot would be my next recommendation. Make sure to double check that the memory in the remaining slot nearest the Keyboard is still firmly latched in place after you remove the other module.

If you still have a problem, then remove the other module and install the first module into the slot nearest the Keyboard.

You can run a memory test by creating a bootable Memtest86 USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Memtest86 USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". It is very likely the "Hammer" test or "Row Hammer" test will fail, but this doesn't necessarily mean the memory is bad.

When removing the Bottom Case from the white uni-body MacBook be very careful not to pull on the rubber coating. This rubber coating can easily come off while trying to remove the Bottom Case (or even holding the Bottom Case) and there is no way to re-attach the rubber coating.

Also make sure to disconnect the power adapter and disconnect the battery before inserting or removing the memory or you will cause damage to the laptop.

Edit: For older laptops you need to run the Apple Hardware Test instead:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201257

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 1:29 PM in response to Roadie-Z

The Kernel Panic mentions possible bad memory. I would try re-seating the memory or at least make sure both memory modules are locked into place by pressing on each one.

If this doesn't help, then the memory slot nearest the Bottom Case may be bad. Overtime the solder joints on the memory slot nearest the Bottom Case can become cracked and give intermittent memory errors. Pressing on the center of the Bottom Case will usually make the laptop freeze if the solder joints are bad. Removing the memory from this slot would be my next recommendation. Make sure to double check that the memory in the remaining slot nearest the Keyboard is still firmly latched in place after you remove the other module.

If you still have a problem, then remove the other module and install the first module into the slot nearest the Keyboard.

You can run a memory test by creating a bootable Memtest86 USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Memtest86 USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". It is very likely the "Hammer" test or "Row Hammer" test will fail, but this doesn't necessarily mean the memory is bad.

When removing the Bottom Case from the white uni-body MacBook be very careful not to pull on the rubber coating. This rubber coating can easily come off while trying to remove the Bottom Case (or even holding the Bottom Case) and there is no way to re-attach the rubber coating.

Also make sure to disconnect the power adapter and disconnect the battery before inserting or removing the memory or you will cause damage to the laptop.

Edit: For older laptops you need to run the Apple Hardware Test instead:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201257

Apr 28, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Roadie-Z

No it is not repairable unless you replace the Logic Board. The best you can do is use it with a single memory module installed in the one good memory slot. You can use a single 4GB memory module. Unfortunately a computer this old isn't worth repairing.

Edit: You can try using compressed air to clean the memory slot. Just make sure to hold the can of compressed air completely upright or you will damage the laptop.

Macbook 6,1 (White Polycarbonate) cannot boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.