Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen

I own a Macbook Pro with i7 2,3Ghz, 8GB Ram and 250GB SSD; I think it is from 2014.

Two years ago it has received a new battery and new Logicboard. Since aprox half a year I have the problem that the display sudenly turns black. Usually the Mac keeps working, but I cannot see anymore what I'm doing. Bud sometimes it also crashes completely.

This behaviour comes in phases; it did happen last year in fall and at the beginning of this year during approx 3-4 days. I was able to work for the last 3 monthes without problems, but now the issue is back. Sometimes I can work for 4 hours without problems, somtimes only 2 minutes. When I then try to restart, often the display stays black directly at startup, or I can see the startup screen for a short moment and then it turns black again (usually before or during entering logindata). Also here I can usually hear that the keyboaord still works.

I have the impression that the issue has to do something with accessing specific part of the SSD (or maybe RAM). SSD has aprox. 10% free space. I can't remember that it did ever happen while entering data in a Filemaker database. But one day, it did happen everytime I wanted to print something (cmp-P = black display). But now, I'm again able to print.

I have installed "Macs Fan Control"; but I don't think that high temperature is the issue; the display also turns to black if no high temperature is detected. "Macs Fan Control" is the only new software I have installed for years (and I did install it after the issue cames up for the first time). However, I have frequently updated the existing software, manely Firefox.

I did allready try all the things I found in apple help (like resetting PR, ...) so I need some more in-depth help. My questions:

1. Is there a log which could give some information why the display turns to black?
  2. How can I do a hardware test on a Laptop? (My older desktop computers always did ship with a Hardware Test-CD, but the laptop not).
  3. Is it obvious that the SSD (or may be RAM) is defective? The SSD is 6 years old.

Please don't tell me that I have to bring the Mac to a service center; this is currently not possible due the corona lockdown. And I need the Mac for my daily work. I run my own electronics workshop and have the tools to open the bottom plate and replace e.g. the SSD. Many thanx for your help.

Lukas

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 12:54 PM

Try running the Apple Diagnostics.

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes or a full minute so it activates several times).

Run Disk Utility First Aid.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you allow EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the summaries of the most recent logs will be included in the report.

Edit: I highly recommend you backup your laptop if you haven't done so already.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Pro_stage

Try running the Apple Diagnostics.

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes or a full minute so it activates several times).

Run Disk Utility First Aid.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you allow EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the summaries of the most recent logs will be included in the report.

Edit: I highly recommend you backup your laptop if you haven't done so already.

Apr 9, 2020 3:56 PM in response to Pro_stage

I suspect your SSD is failing. The false positive result you are referring was from the use of the older Apple Hardware Test and usually only occurred when the tests were looped according to an archived Apple article.

Run DriveDX and post the complete report here using the "Additional Text" icon. See if you can use DriveDX to run the SSD's internal selftest (not all Apple SSDs support these features).

Click on the "Additional Text" icon shown by the red arrow in this picture. It will allow you to submit the complete EtreCheck report. Use the "Share" and "copy" feature within EtreCheck so you can add the report to the Additional Text box.

Apr 9, 2020 11:58 PM in response to HWTech

Thanx for this further tips. I can't find any option to run an SSD's internal selftest in DriveDX. Below is the info about my SSD. Since I did repair the SSD, the display only turned black once (shortly after doing the repair). Since then, it did never happen again, and I have heavy used my computer for a couple of hours (before, the issue happend every few minutes).

Apr 11, 2020 8:36 AM in response to Pro_stage

Pro_stage wrote:

It does not matter whether I use the Intel GPU or the GeForce GPU; problem stays the same.
In the mean time I had also twice the issue that the keyboard and trackpad did not react anymore. Only the On/Off button was still working.

Not surprising since it wasn't behaving in the way I would expect for a GPU failure.

Q: do tasks like printing write to the HD, or is this all done in RAM?
Q: does OSX always use virtual RAM on the SSD, even if there is only one simple application running which would never need the installed 8GB RAM?

I'm not sure how macOS uses or handles virtual RAM with newer versions of macOS. I do know that on older versions of macOS that swap would not be used unless absolutely necessary.

Q: is it possible that the OS has lost some data? Can I restore the OS from the Backup (only OS, not the complete disk)?

Yes a system file could be damaged or corrupted. You can boot into Recovery Mode using Command + R to reinstall macOS over top of itself. As long as you do not erase the drive or volume, then it should not affect your data or user accounts.

Apr 9, 2020 3:14 PM in response to HWTech

Thanx for this tips.

• SMC and PRAM reset => I did already try this several times before postimg the issue here. Does not solve anything.
  • Apple Hardware Test found "4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)". But according to the info I found online, this is a wrong result of the test?
  • I did already run Disk Utility when the problem came up for the first time - nothing found. Now I did run it again and it found an issue which I could repair in Recovery mode. But did not solve the issue.
  • EtreCheck report: Cannot post it here because of the 5000 character limit of this forum. Which part is of interest? Kernelpanic, crashes?

Apr 10, 2020 5:02 AM in response to HWTech

... Update:

it was just coincidence that the computer did work fine for half a day after repairing the SSD. Problem is back now. But SSD is fine now, no problem found. Currently, whenever I like to print something or export to pdf, display turns black a few secound after the dialog window opens. One time the Mac also crashed while I was not doing anything (maybe energy saveing turnd of display, but this did result in a crash).

Apr 10, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Pro_stage

Thanks for those reports. I don't see any concerns regarding the SSD from the DriveDX report. However, the EtreCheck report shows the one Kernel Panic being GPU related. Unfortunately the other Kernel Panics don't show any information. If the GPU is beginning to fail you could try using gfxCardStatus to force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/tag/v2.4.4i

Apr 10, 2020 11:12 AM in response to HWTech

I have installed gfxCardStatus. It was initially set to "Internal only" (Intel), I have now changed to "Discrete only" (GeForce).

I wonder a little bit what "AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app" is? It looks like it crashed several times, but it must be an app that works in the background; I did not launch it.

Also, could you recommend a tool to uninstall software which I do not use anymore (and maybe orphaned files)?

Apr 10, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Pro_stage

To attempt to prevent a GPU issue you need to have gfxCardStatus set for the Intel GPU since the NVidia GeForce GPU is the one with the potential fault.

Contributors on these forums do not recommend using any cleaning apps since they usually cause more problems than they solve. Please do not install "CleanMyMac" as that app is known to cause all types of problems. This forum is full of user issues directly related to CMM. The best way to remove apps is to follow the developer's instructions. If you want to clean up the residuals from the apps already removed, then you can also use the EtreCheck report to guide you to the location of the files still needing to be removed from the "EtreCheck Clean Up" section.

As far as the Adobe Synchronizer that was most likely installed by one of your Adobe apps.

Apr 11, 2020 4:10 AM in response to HWTech

It does not matter whether I use the Intel GPU or the GeForce GPU; problem stays the same.

In the mean time I had also twice the issue that the keyboard and trackpad did not react anymore. Only the On/Off button was still working.

Q: do tasks like printing write to the HD, or is this all done in RAM?

Q: does OSX always use virtual RAM on the SSD, even if there is only one simple application running which would never need the installed 8GB RAM?

Q: is it possible that the OS has lost some data? Can I restore the OS from the Backup (only OS, not the complete disk)?

Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.