You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt 2 to usb-c

Sorry for the noob question but I have a MacBook Air 2012 with what I believe is a Thunderbolt 2 connector. I am trying to find a hub adapter to fit that port and give me ethernet and HDMI. I have bought a hub but it's USB-C which doesn't fit.

Do I need a new hub (if so, any recommendations please?) or is there an adapter that will let me use the hub I have (USB-C) to connect to my Thunderbolt 2 port ?

Thanks in advance, DM.

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 3:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 5:49 AM

If you are going to keep that computer then purchase a thunderbolt 1 or 2 Dock. Go to macsales.com or look on eBay or amazon.

The Cal Digit Docks were pretty good. You could call them and see if they have the older model.

2 replies

Apr 12, 2020 3:05 PM in response to DaveMarson

Answering my own question here, but ...

I ordered a couple of USB-C to USB 3 adapters in the hope they would connect my hub and hey presto! it just about all works. So far the ethernet works, as do the SD card slots and the USB slots.

It also means I am future proofed as the hub will work in USB-C machines (like my daughter's Chromebook already does).

My only (nice) problem is they sent pairs of USB-C to USB 3 adapters so I have 3 I don't need ... yet.

thunderbolt 2 to usb-c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.