You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail management and best practice - why is mail so neglected as a tool?!

Hello,

I've been using Mail as my primary email management app forever. I have my work and personal accounts in there (coming from Microsoft Exchange, Yahoo! and Apple). While looking at my hard disk storage it became obvious that Mail takes ups a huge amount of space. This is probably because of all the work attachments.

I've flirted with using Outlook (especially for work related stuff). In Outlook it is possible to 'remove' an attachment. When you do so the file is deleted at the server level (no good if you have already downloaded in Mail), but the attachment name is left in the email. So assuming the attachment has been diligently saved somewhere it is always possible to track down the attachment from the body of the email if needed. I think this seems a very sensible way of keeping on top of disk storage (especially when files often do get downloaded and stored separately any way so you end up with multiple copies).

Is there a feature like this for mail? I tend to use Mail as my go to for revisiting previous discussions and having the ability to go back to attachments is really important - the only way currently to reduce the size of Mail is to delete the individual emails in their entirety - it's the attachments that are the problem, not the text in the email which I'd like to hang on to.

Just as a general observation I note that Apple spends a tom of time and money developing all kinds of need things like animate Memojis and the like. I would like to bet that any serious business user of Apple products will use three or four applications more than anything else on a daily basis (guess what Memojis is not one of them!!). In particular Mail. Why has this app not been given more love and attention given it is probably my most use App ever?!

Anyone see feel the same?

Best,

Nick

PS In trying to associate this post with a topic I note that Mail isn't even listed!?

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 4:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:48 AM

Thanks Bob - I have indeed left some feedback (long overdue). I would be very surprised in a professional context if most users do not spend a very significant proportion of time on email.

I spend as little time as possible on email. I wish others would, also.

In Outlook I can 'remove' the attachment. The email text remains (not the attachment itself), along with a reference to the name of the file that was deleted.

Does "Remove Attachments" not work for you?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2020 9:48 AM in response to nksimmons

Thanks Bob - I have indeed left some feedback (long overdue). I would be very surprised in a professional context if most users do not spend a very significant proportion of time on email.

I spend as little time as possible on email. I wish others would, also.

In Outlook I can 'remove' the attachment. The email text remains (not the attachment itself), along with a reference to the name of the file that was deleted.

Does "Remove Attachments" not work for you?

Apr 9, 2020 7:19 AM in response to nksimmons

Apple is a $T company, your disappointment in one app may not be indicative of the the other users' experience. Feedback is the best way to let Apple know of your concern.

Regardless, maybe we can address your issue and find a work-around or a change of workflow that will help you. I use Outlook everyday but am not sure what you are alluding to when you say you can remove an attachment yet it stays. You can manage your attachments in Outlook or Mail. You can delete them, save them, move them, open them, ...It is not clear what it is you want to do.

Apr 9, 2020 7:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks Bob - I have indeed left some feedback (long overdue). I would be very surprised in a professional context if most users do not spend a very significant proportion of time on email. I appreciate other users may find animated Memoji's really important and business critical, just not me!

I haven't been a frequent Outlook user since switching to Mac about 20 years ago, but have had occasional brushes with it. I prefer the look and feel of Mail and the fact that it is fully integrated with iOS on my iPhone and iPad. As it's an Apple designed product it is very intuitive and generally a very good user experience.

Maybe I missing something on managing attachments in Mail and you can put me right? I can download and save an attachment granted and I very often do. However, the email containing the original attachment will remain unless I delete that email (which will also delete the attachment). More often than not I will want to refer back to emails so I don't delete them. It means I am stuck with the attachment using up disk space. In Outlook I can 'remove' the attachment. The email text remains (not the attachment itself), along with a reference to the name of the file that was deleted. Having that record of what the attachment was (name, before being removed and date of removal) could help me get back to that file (assuming it has been saved safely somewhere and I have a nice methodical process for reading the email, saving the attachment and then removing the attachment). I still have the text of the conversation but not MB / GB of attachments clogging things up (I suppose there is an argument to say leaving the attachment on the email server is additional backup and it means even if my own network or hard drive dies the attachment is still out there somewhere). This seems to be a really useful feature in Outlook, but I don't believe there is equivalent functionality in Mail. If I've missed that someplace I'd love to know about it.

In general I'd love to use Mail more efficiently. I don't think much has changed in the last 20 years. My point / suggestion is that Mail should get some more attention because I genuinely do think it is an app that many, many people use on a very regular basis and is important to someone's productivity in a business context which is why I'm surprised it doesn't get more focus (eg no topics in discussions with the tag 'Mail').

Appreciate your help and feedback and hope that occasionally someone at the HQ of that $T company take a look at what people are saying (as well as the formal 'feedback' channels that are quite restricted by character count). Got to imagine that TC spends a fair few hours on email each day - perhaps he uses Outlook?! Would love to know!

Mail management and best practice - why is mail so neglected as a tool?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.