Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update

Hello my MacBook Retina Late 2013 is MacOS Catalina 10.15.4, the system preferences is giving me a notification that I require an update. I have tried doing this is safe mode, and after a reboot. It states my Mac is up to date and yet the red circle indication is still there, any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:00 AM

This should work…

Delete this file and restart.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist

While in the Finder, press "command shift G", paste the above line into the window that opens and press Return. It will highlight the file for deletion.

10 replies

Apr 26, 2020 3:31 PM in response to Stonemonki

I have witnessed firmware updates that fail to install when on secure corporate networks. In my case, the employer was running an SSL inspection tool that was causing Apple to not trust the connections and to drop the connections. Apple tests connections to ensure there is no eavesdropping and they also check updates are signed. Are you on a clean unmanaged Internet connection? Running the 'sudo softwareupdate -i -a --verbose' command from Terminal may reveal the portion that is possibly failing. It did in my case, a security update included a firmware update and it would re-install then fail with an error but only displayed the error on the command line. It may have been logged as well but who can find a needle in a haystack if you don't know what to look for?

Despite marking updates as ignored apparently it still triggers the notifications bubble on the Software Updates icon. So try a 'sudo softwareupdates --reset-ignored' command as well then check for updates again. I know it does this on Mojave as we made Catalina ignored but the notification bubble always comes back with no more updates to apply. It's a cosmetic bug.

Software Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.