Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catilalina (null) ????

With lock-down, I was going to upgrade to Catalina; went to Software update and it says Catalina (null)

What does this mean? It is showing on 3 Catalina compatible Macs.

Current OS is 10.14.6.

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 2:58 AM

@pcbjr,

Try here: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

All three installations of 10.15.4 were released on April 8. None is 8.23 GB (3, 4.73 and 1.02 GB), altogether they make 8.75 GB. Go figure.

47 replies

Apr 10, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Barney-15E

Sorry for the confusion. I replied to something farther up expecting that replies would be threaded.

At https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos there are three dmg files named

"Download macOs Catalina 10.15.4 Update"

"Download macOs Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update", and

"Download macOs Catalina 10.15.4 Supplimental Update".

This looks like it could be an alternate way to upgrade to Catalina. If so, do I install all three? Does the order matter?

Apr 13, 2020 2:29 AM in response to pcbjr

I am curious if anyone else is getting these errors while opening System Update? Open up the Console application first then open Preferences and click on System Update. The appeared immediately afterwards for me—including a few other faults. It could be a coincidence, if others see the same results then probably not. I think this is a result of the latest security update pushed out to Catalina this last week. At least that's when I noticed this change.

Allowing process impersonation by process com.apple.preferences.softwareu (1098) despite not having the com.apple.private.defaults-impersonate entitlement due to it not being sandboxed. Please add com.apple.private.defaults-impersonate instead, this will stop working in the future.

Allowing process impersonation by process com.apple.preferences.softwareu (1098) despite not having the com.apple.private.defaults-impersonate entitlement due to it not being sandboxed. Please add com.apple.private.defaults-impersonate instead, this will stop working in the future.

Attempted to open an encrypted database

Apr 10, 2020 1:15 PM in response to pzulw0

Those are updates, not upgrades. This thread is about upgrading to Catalina, not updating it.

You have to already be running Catalina to use those.

The 10.15.4 update takes you from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4

The 10.15.4 combo update will update any Catalina OS (10.15.0 to 10.15.3)

The supplemental update is a patch for problems found in the 10.15.4 update.

Apr 10, 2020 1:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

@Barney-15E,

pzulw0 is evidently referring to the three installations to which I pointed above. I'm guessing that the combo installation would be a good start, and once Catalina has been installed, the supplemental update with appear there in the Software Update. That's why I asked, above, how the supplemental update appeared to those who already have Catalina. No answer.

@pzulw0

OK, so you've bitten the bullet and pressed Update. Are you sure this didn't result in an Install Catalina application being downloaded to Applications? This seems to be what ClassicII describes above. You would need to run that to continue with the installation.

Apr 10, 2020 6:10 PM in response to Richard Liu

Just searched for "Catalina" in the Mac Apps Store, found it, and clicked Get. Then the Software Update dialog appeared, searched and found 10.15.4 and asked whether I really wanted to download it. Since I don't want to upgrade to Catalina right now, I can't way what happens I answer Yes.

@pzulw0: How large is the Install Catalina app in Applications? 8.23 GB?

Apr 12, 2020 5:47 AM in response to pzulw0

I faced this issue where i would download to update. The update downloaded but it wouldn’t install and i would only get the option to download again. I downloaded a few times as well. The solution is, once you know it has fully downloaded once, go to your Launchpad, swipe till the end and there you will see the Install MacOS option. Install from there. Hope that helps.

Catilalina (null) ????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.