Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover eMail folders accidentally deleted in Apple Mac

A MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018) running 10.15.4 Catalina.

A mail folder containing subfolders was accidentally deleted. This was a Gmail account.

I opened Mail and entered Time Machine. Time Machine would not allow me to jump to another time (clicking any day/time would not jump to that day/time)); I was stuck on 'now' and so I couldn't locate and recover the missing folders this way.

So I quit Mail and manually located ~/Library/Mail in Finder and renamed it to Mail OLD. I then entered Time Machine and restored the entire ~/Library/Mail folder from a backup of earlier in the day.

On running Mail, I saw the accidentally-deleted folders re-appear ... and within a fraction of a second they disappeared again. It was as if GMail synced the wrong way; i.e. instead of uploading the recovered folders to Gmail, it knew the folders on Gmail had been deleted, so it deleted the recovered folders from Apple Mail.

How can I recover the folders from Time Machine without them being automatically deleted again as soon as Mail connects to Gmail?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 10:02 AM

* SOLVED *

I:

• Quit Mail
  • Got Time Machine to recover the entire ~/Library/Mail folder.
  • Disconnected from the Internet (so it couldn't try to sync with Gmail servers).
  • Dragged the recovered eMail folders to 'on my mac.'
  • Connected to the Internet
  • Ran Apple Mail.
  • Copied the On My Mac folders back into the GMail folders
  • Done!!

So basically, I made a copy of the recovered eMail before allowing GMail to delete them.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 10:02 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

* SOLVED *

I:

• Quit Mail
  • Got Time Machine to recover the entire ~/Library/Mail folder.
  • Disconnected from the Internet (so it couldn't try to sync with Gmail servers).
  • Dragged the recovered eMail folders to 'on my mac.'
  • Connected to the Internet
  • Ran Apple Mail.
  • Copied the On My Mac folders back into the GMail folders
  • Done!!

So basically, I made a copy of the recovered eMail before allowing GMail to delete them.

Apr 10, 2020 4:30 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

IamTheKnowledgeSeeker wrote:

A MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018) running 10.15.4 Catalina.

A mail folder containing subfolders was accidentally deleted. This was a Gmail account.

I opened Mail and entered Time Machine. Time Machine would not allow me to jump to another time (clicking any day/time would not jump to that day/time)); I was stuck on 'now' and so I couldn't locate and recover the missing folders this way.

So I quit Mail and manually located ~/Library/Mail in Finder and renamed it to Mail OLD. I then entered Time Machine and restored the entire ~/Library/Mail folder from a backup of earlier in the day.

On running Mail, I saw the accidentally-deleted folders re-appear ... and within a fraction of a second they disappeared again. It was as if GMail synced the wrong way; i.e. instead of uploading the recovered folders to Gmail, it knew the folders on Gmail had been deleted, so it deleted the recovered folders from Apple Mail.

How can I recover the folders from Time Machine without them being automatically deleted again as soon as Mail connects to Gmail?

You do not make it clear which Mailboxes and where?

Don't be fooled by hidden mailboxes—if you move your mouse to right side of the column to reveal the Show/Hide option.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

How to recover eMail folders accidentally deleted in Apple Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.