Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How Do I Recover Deleted Email Folders And Contents In Mail From Time Machine on Ventura 13.5 OS

I have inadvertently deleted several important folders from my Mail application. The folders were located in the "iCloud" section of folders, not in the "On My Mac" section of folders.

In Finder, I selected ~Library/Mail/V10 from the "Go" tab and found all the current folders named. By using Time Machine, I selected one of the dates preceding the deletion and restored the folder to the current date. I can see that it worked, because the file size is the same and when I click through to the individual messages and attachments, they open and are visible.

However, the problem I have is that when I open Mail, I cannot see either the recovered folder or the contents. What step(s) do I have to take in order to be able to get Mail to show them?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 10:31 AM

Importing does not wipe out existing folders. Imported emails go into a new Import folder. If an Import folder already exists, another new folder called Import-1 is created, and so forth.

This is from Apple Mail Help:

Import mailboxes

1. In the Mail app on your Mac, choose File > Import Mailboxes.
  2. Select a source in the list, read the information that appears below the list, then click Continue.
    • If you’re importing a mailbox exported from Mail or a folder in the ~/Library/Mail/ folder on another Mac, select Apple Mail. To get to the Mail folder on a Mac, click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, press and hold the Option key, choose Go > Library, then select the Mail folder.
    • If you’re importing messages from a Windows or UNIX computer, select “Files in mbox format,” then locate the folder containing the files.
  1. Reorganize the imported messages, if you like.
  2. The messages are in a new mailbox called Import in the Mail sidebar. You can drag folders and messages from the Import mailbox to new or existing mailboxes, then delete the Import mailbox.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 10:31 AM in response to paulmbrown

Importing does not wipe out existing folders. Imported emails go into a new Import folder. If an Import folder already exists, another new folder called Import-1 is created, and so forth.

This is from Apple Mail Help:

Import mailboxes

1. In the Mail app on your Mac, choose File > Import Mailboxes.
  2. Select a source in the list, read the information that appears below the list, then click Continue.
    • If you’re importing a mailbox exported from Mail or a folder in the ~/Library/Mail/ folder on another Mac, select Apple Mail. To get to the Mail folder on a Mac, click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, press and hold the Option key, choose Go > Library, then select the Mail folder.
    • If you’re importing messages from a Windows or UNIX computer, select “Files in mbox format,” then locate the folder containing the files.
  1. Reorganize the imported messages, if you like.
  2. The messages are in a new mailbox called Import in the Mail sidebar. You can drag folders and messages from the Import mailbox to new or existing mailboxes, then delete the Import mailbox.

Aug 17, 2023 8:29 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for answering. Unfortunately, when I used "Rebuild", as you suggest, nothing happened. I am afraid to import the entire mbox folder, as I am concerned that it could wipe out all the other folders that I have in my Mail account, which would be a huge problem. I don't see that suggestion to import the entire box anywhere in the Apple Support literature.

Thank you,

Paul

How Do I Recover Deleted Email Folders And Contents In Mail From Time Machine on Ventura 13.5 OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.