Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6Plus Anomalies

Today my iPhone stopped making sounds, except it will ring if someone calls me. It will also play sounds if I plug in a headset. My volume icon says "speaker" when I adjust the volume buttons. I don't have Bluetooth enabled and assume the sound aren't going elsewhere.

Coincidentally(?), my fingerprint recognition died and when I hold the home button and talk into my phone, it no longer hears me.

I know my phone is a couple of years old, but I'd like to resolve these issues. I powered my iPhone down for a while and the symptoms have not changed. To be clear, all three problems appeared today and all three worked yesterday.

iOS 14.4.6 as of the time I posted, although the iOS was updated to this version as part of the troubleshooting process...

Thanks.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 6:58 PM

Thank you for the link; was hoping for tech support. Reading stories of people sucking on a jack isn't the help I am seeking. I have used compressed air into the jack and through reading understand that while I'm in headphone mode most of the issues I'm having will present. So I will focus on trying to get my phone to understand that there is no headphone plugged into the jack. I wonder if this is an electronics problem from age(?). Going to Verizon tomorrow to see what they can do and wish Apple had some more direct support options than a "this is what worked for me" chat.

I do appreciate your response.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 6:58 PM in response to Rudegar

Thank you for the link; was hoping for tech support. Reading stories of people sucking on a jack isn't the help I am seeking. I have used compressed air into the jack and through reading understand that while I'm in headphone mode most of the issues I'm having will present. So I will focus on trying to get my phone to understand that there is no headphone plugged into the jack. I wonder if this is an electronics problem from age(?). Going to Verizon tomorrow to see what they can do and wish Apple had some more direct support options than a "this is what worked for me" chat.

I do appreciate your response.

Apr 10, 2020 10:14 PM in response to IdahoHighboy

Your post sort of belies you final comment. Blowing compressed air into the headphone jack is actually a bad idea, if there was any cruft there you just moved it into the iPhone. And if you read that thread you would know it actually has worked for people. I usually use a toothpick and a flashlight to clean headphone jacks and once had to use tweezers to dislodge a bug. And that style of headphone jack which Apple no longer uses is about 60 years old.

But given the three things that failed at one time and their proximity to each other I think you have a broken connection on your logic board that is causing all your issues. Click on the Contact Support link at the top right of this page (the real Apple technicians) to start the service process to replace your iPhone. If you had read the terms of use when you signed up here you would have known that this is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple. And Apple does have more direct support options, even from the link above.

Good luck at the Verizon Store. If you haven't gone yet I really think your best bet would be to buy a new phone.

Apr 11, 2020 7:01 AM in response to deggie

Thank Deggie and my previous final comment was sincere. Guilty that I didn't read any terms of use, but did realize that this is a user forum. My comment re: reading what worked for others was short and perhaps I didn't choose the right example to post, which was my point. The link is full of all kinds of ideas and while those actions may have had a correlation or causation relationship with someone's phone working; the link is really "just a bunch of things to try". While I didn't explain every single thing I did, I did also try the "calling", the "unplugging" and the "sucking" BEFORE blowing air. Yep, this old headphone jack is the same as my 1984 Walkman jack and I will contact Apple before Verizon. I agree that I probably need a new phone and apologize if my initial response seemed curt. Cheers,

iPhone 6Plus Anomalies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.