Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.10.5.12 - ONLY songs checked in a playlist will sync to my devices (iphone, ipods)

So very recently ONLY songs that are checked and in a playlist will sync to my devices (iphone and ipods). I guess the work around is to add a general playlist for ALL selected songs, but this seems excessive.

Songs can be purchased or added locally and the same applies, only will sync if added to a playlist. This took me a few hours to isolate.

I do not use cloud, or apple music and manage all of my music from my PC and store (sync) for local device usage - I am not against either, but in areas without cellphone or wifi, I want full access to my music.

For the devices, I have the 'sync all checked music' box checked/selected.

I did receive an apple music charge April 2 that I cancelled immediately and received a refund for. I wonder if that has something to do with this...or the iOS version I am on.

All devices and itunes are up to date....does ANYONE have a clue what is happening? Please help me! Please.....driving me nuts....

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 3:22 AM

Baethe wrote:

Then that's why only the ticked songs go onto your device.

The text should say Sync only ticked songs and videos, so that's what it's doing:

The tick boxes can be very useful, but until you find a specific use for them, leave them all on (that's the default)

Regarding the Playlist issue, check the settings for the device on the Device/Music panel:

• Obviously, Sync Music (2.) needs to be ticked (checked)
  • In the line below that (3.):
    • if you have chosen Entire music library, then every ticked song in your Library should be added to your device, even if it's not in a Playlist (and the boxes in section 4 will not be displayed - because they don't need to be)
    • if you have chosen Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, all of section 4 appears and only the items you select will be added to the device. So new music will only go onto the device if you add it to one of the Playlists that is set to sync with that device

If you change these settings, you will need to click on the Apply (or Sync) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window in order for the change to take effect

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 3:22 AM in response to Baethe

Baethe wrote:

Then that's why only the ticked songs go onto your device.

The text should say Sync only ticked songs and videos, so that's what it's doing:

The tick boxes can be very useful, but until you find a specific use for them, leave them all on (that's the default)

Regarding the Playlist issue, check the settings for the device on the Device/Music panel:

• Obviously, Sync Music (2.) needs to be ticked (checked)
  • In the line below that (3.):
    • if you have chosen Entire music library, then every ticked song in your Library should be added to your device, even if it's not in a Playlist (and the boxes in section 4 will not be displayed - because they don't need to be)
    • if you have chosen Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, all of section 4 appears and only the items you select will be added to the device. So new music will only go onto the device if you add it to one of the Playlists that is set to sync with that device

If you change these settings, you will need to click on the Apply (or Sync) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window in order for the change to take effect

Apr 11, 2020 8:24 AM in response to the fiend

The Fiend, you rock!

Thanks so much for the reply....so I think yes, you are absolutely correct on all this.

I guess that previously I'd just been so methodical about cataloging music into various playlists that when I didn't do this for some songs I was completely unclear why non playlist songs were not showing up in my device's music library.

Total screw up on my part....thank you SO VERY MUCH for taking time to get me sorted....one less stressful thing to worry about! Truly grateful...thanks.

Itunes 12.10.5.12 - ONLY songs checked in a playlist will sync to my devices (iphone, ipods)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.