Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync certain songs only to certain devices (iPod classic and iPhone with Apple Music)

I have an iPod classic and an iPhone with an Apple Music subscription. I recently downloaded some music that I already had on my phone in Apple Music to sync to my iPod. I had to separately download these songs in iPod-compatible file types, because AAC (the default Apple Music file type) is not compatible and will not sync to an iPod. As a result, however, duplicates now appear in Apple Music on my phone (both AAC and the iPod-compatible file type). This makes it irritating to listen to a lot of albums on my phone since many songs repeat.

I would like to be able to select certain songs in my iTunes library to sync to my iPod, to my iPhone, or to both (I downloaded some music that is not available on Apple Music that I would still like to keep on my phone, and only remove the duplicates). Is such a thing possible? I know how I can identify in my library which songs to select for what device (sort by "kind"/file type), but I don't know how to keep these songs from syncing to Apple Music on my iPhone.

I may be asking for something impossible through ordinary iTunes functions, so if there's a non-intuitive workaround through which I can achieve this (possibly through some of the sorting features?), please let me know. I remember there being a sort option in the older versions of iTunes that was a box you could check to indicate whether you wanted a song to sync to the connected device or not, but as far as I can tell this option no longer exists.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thanks!

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 3:24 AM

You can set up each device to sync with selected playlists. Each device remembers its own selection. Smart playlists can be used, for example, to exclude Apple Music content so that a list destined to go on your classic only contains tracks that would be allowed to transfer. If you have both Apple Music and non-Apple Music versions of the same song you should remove the Apple Music version from the library, then right-click the remaining copy that is likely to be marked as a duplicate and use Add to Library. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for background.

tt2

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 3:24 AM in response to mdsnln

You can set up each device to sync with selected playlists. Each device remembers its own selection. Smart playlists can be used, for example, to exclude Apple Music content so that a list destined to go on your classic only contains tracks that would be allowed to transfer. If you have both Apple Music and non-Apple Music versions of the same song you should remove the Apple Music version from the library, then right-click the remaining copy that is likely to be marked as a duplicate and use Add to Library. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for background.

tt2

Jan 23, 2020 12:30 PM in response to turingtest2

I guess my question more concisely is on how to to prevent songs downloaded for my iPod from syncing to my phone, so that I only have the Apple Music versions of tracks on my phone. I would prefer not to go through my duplicates and remove the Apple Music versions, because the quality and release versions would inevitably be inconsistent. I want to keep both versions of all the duplicates, but prevent those tracks of non-Apple Music-standard file types (the ones meant to sync to the iPod) from syncing to my phone.

I'm thinking the initial way to do this would be to never have synced my phone to iTunes in the first place, but I'm far past that. So, alternatively... how can I remove these tracks from my phone? There are thousands of them, so I would need a way to remove them en masse rather than selecting them one by one. Hence my line of thinking to set certain songs to not sync in iTunes. I suppose in this case I would have to sacrifice wanting to sync certain tracks to both devices (ones that are not available from Apple Music, e.g. demos or unreleased tracks). But if there is in fact a way to keep those on my phone while removing others, that would be my preferred solution.

Jan 23, 2020 2:03 PM in response to mdsnln

I was under the impression that you cannot actually sync Apple Music content through iTunes, and that instead it arrives on your device when you enable iCloud Music Library. Your device gets everything that is available in the cloud, which you can either stream or download. If you're actively syncing then you can make a list of the duplicates in the wrong format and make a smart playlist that masks them out. Show exact duplicates would show all duplicates as a starting point, add those to a regular playlist, then sort on kind to refine the list.

tt2

Jan 23, 2020 7:28 PM in response to turingtest2

So how can I make it so everything in the smart playlist does not sync to my phone when I plug it in? Sorry if it's obvious, I don't really know what all the functions of a smart playlist are because I haven't followed iTunes updates for a few years. All I can tell smart playlists will do is auto-sort songs for you based on your "rules," which I set my sorting rule to be tracks with "kind" containing "MPEG." Unless there's something I'm missing, I can't figure out how this would prevent them from syncing to my phone since all of the songs in the smart playlist are also still listed in the general library, the entirety of which syncs to my phone when I connect it.

Honestly a regular playlist with everything I didn't want to sync to my phone would work best if I could mark it to not sync to my phone, because there are still MPEGs that I do want to sync to my phone, so applying a rule like that would exclude those.

Is there still a function like, "sync only checked items" like there used to be? If there were it wouldn't be a problem for me to check and uncheck songs (so long as i could select many at a time and "check/uncheck all selected") depending on what device I was plugging in. But as far as I can tell those "check" boxes are no longer a function of iTunes.

Jan 24, 2020 3:09 AM in response to mdsnln

Are you running on Windows or Mac? There are scripts that can help with organizing things. I've written a number for Windows, and there is a good resource for Macs.

Check boxes still exist in iTunes, but various updates have tended to turn them off by default. They're not the ideal syncing control mechanism when you have multiple devices as they are a global property.

Let's assume you have three classes of tracks. A, Apple Music tracks, B, Apple Music tracks that have a non-Apple Music duplicate, and C, everything else that isn't Apple Music. If you can identify the duplicates either using iCloud Status or a script you can create a regular playlist that contains all tracks of class B. You can create a smart playlist that matches with Apple Music, e.g. playlist A, and another that matches tracks that are not Apple Music (C), and not in the class B playlist, call this D. You setup the iPhone to sync with A & D, and the iPod classic to sync with C.

tt2

Jan 24, 2020 10:34 AM in response to turingtest2

But how, specifically and step by step, do I “setup the iPhone to sync with A & D, and the iPod classic to sync with C”? I am not having trouble identifying the tracks. I have already contained them in playlists like you described. I just don’t know how you set certain playlists to sync and others not to. And how you adjust those settings depending on the device.

I know checkboxes are a global property. But if I can check and uncheck many at a time I don’t mind doing it every time I want to sync a device. How can I access this function again in the current version of iTunes?

I have a Mac.

Jan 24, 2020 5:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Forgive me if I switch tones here but this is driving me absolutely insane. This might be becoming another issue entirely, or several issues, so I'm just going to try to explain what's going on.

I followed your link above. I already understand how to do everything that article mentions. Unfortunately none of it really answered my question. So instead I went into iTunes (or "Music" as it's vaguely named now) and fiddled with some settings. I made it to where I can now see those checkboxes, so I unchecked all the songs that I did not want to sync to my phone, and selected "sync only checked songs" on my sync settings for my phone in iTunes. Then I synced it. But everything remained the same. Nothing was removed.

So I searched on the internet how to mass-delete music from your phone without deleting it from your library. I learned that on my phone, if I go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Music, I can view all music downloaded to my phone sorted by artist. I decided that was the best way to mass delete songs from my phone I could find, considering the only other alternative is to delete each song from your phone one-by-one (not an option for me, because I have almost 1400 songs I want to remove). So in iTunes, I began to rename the artists for the songs I wanted to remove (I contained them all in a playlist). For example, I changed the artist name "King Krule" to "ipod - King Krule." A little tedious, but I have a lot of songs by each artist so it only took about 30 minutes -- significantly less than going track-by-track. Then, on my phone, I went into Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Music again and saw the new artists with "ipod" written in front of them. I swiped to delete each of them. My plan in doing this was, from now on, to only listen to Downloaded Music in Apple Music, since for some reason the unchecked songs would not disappear from the main page of Apple Music (as I said in the last paragraph).

However, I now have a new problem I can't wrap my head around. In my Downloaded Music section of Apple Music, albums are incomplete. As an example, the album Nonagon Infinity by King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard only lists tracks 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9. So I looked up this album on Apple Music and pressed the iCloud download button for the album. But none of the missing songs are appearing in my Downloaded Music. I tried again, this time clicking the iCloud download button for each track that was missing on that album. No luck. It's still incomplete, and so are many other albums.

Both my Mac and my phone are fully updated. The Apple Music app on my phone and the Music app on my Mac are both fully updated. I tried turning my phone off and on again several times, and tried to download these missing songs again. Still not there. I hope I don't sound rude, I'm just losing my mind over something that I thought would be simple (mass-removing songs from my phone but keeping them in iTunes). But in the process of trying to troubleshoot that my problem has multiplied. I'm going to try to contact someone at Apple about all this and send this thread along to them. So if you don't have an explanation or advice for all this, don't worry about it. I appreciate you trying to help so far.

Jan 24, 2020 6:31 PM in response to mdsnln

First I think we're back at the point that when you use Apple Music on your iPhone you don't actually sync the content with your Music library over USB, instead your phone should get to see all eligible content that is in your iCloud Music Library. When you sync with Finder in Catalina it will be other content that goes over USB, but not Music. If you try to sync directly then I don't think any of the Apple Music content is included.

What might help is to turn off Settings > Music > Sync Library on the device, use Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Music > All Songs > Swipe Left > Delete to erase what is there, then turn Sync Library on again. In some cases it may be necessary to backup the device, restore as a new device, then restore the backup to get music to populate properly on the device.

tt2

How to sync certain songs only to certain devices (iPod classic and iPhone with Apple Music)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.