Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Downloading IMAGES in "Junk" mail!!

I've never seen this happen before, and I'm concerned. I opened a junk email in my Junk folder and right at the top of it was this image file (see below)! And there was no "Load Image" button showing! Could this be some kind of security breech? I'm running OS 10.15.4. I've included a screenshot of the email AND I've included the actual image that was atop this email!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 6:15 AM

It's not a "remote" image. It is an attachment.

Opening image files is not a vector for any malfeasance.

The block to loading remote content prevents loading an image that is referenced to an external server using HTML. The problem with loading remote content is that the host can then tell you are a valid email address. They can't tell anything about you opening an attachment.

Is that your actual email address in the image you posted?

Since it is an image, it isn't harvestable, but it is visible to humans reading this forum.

Would you like it removed?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 6:15 AM in response to jeffsyrop

It's not a "remote" image. It is an attachment.

Opening image files is not a vector for any malfeasance.

The block to loading remote content prevents loading an image that is referenced to an external server using HTML. The problem with loading remote content is that the host can then tell you are a valid email address. They can't tell anything about you opening an attachment.

Is that your actual email address in the image you posted?

Since it is an image, it isn't harvestable, but it is visible to humans reading this forum.

Would you like it removed?

Apr 11, 2020 9:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

"The block to loading remote content prevents loading an image that is referenced to an external server using HTML."

Thank you very much for your perfectly clear answer. I guess most images in junk mail are of the HTML referencing variety you mention, so I was surprised to see that image. I don't generally see images in junk mail. Thank you for offering to remove the screenshot I included that does show my real email address. Please do so.

Apple Mail Downloading IMAGES in "Junk" mail!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.