Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cables to connect 2020 Mac-mini to 2009 Mac Pro

I just bought a new 2020 Mac mini, which I now want to network with my early 2009 Mac Pro. 

So what’s the best cable connectors to connect these two Macs?

My early 2009 Mac Pro has FireWire 800 - and USB2.

I assume I’d need some adaptor to connect the Thunderbolt 3 to an older USB or FireWire port on my 2009 Mac Pro.

Thanks for any help.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 4:23 PM

Hi there, John Nez

I think I can help you with your question.... Your early Mac Pro does have FireWire 800 and USB 2, but it should have an Ethernet socket around the back. I wouldn't bother with Firewire 800, it's mostly a legacy connector. Your 2020 Mac mini also has an Ethernet socket built in, so an Ethernet cable should be just fine. The Mac mini has a couple of USB-A ports on it as well as a couple of usb-C ports on it (thunderbolt 3 ??)....among other things, so either Ethernet or USB would work.

john b

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 4:23 PM in response to John Nez

Hi there, John Nez

I think I can help you with your question.... Your early Mac Pro does have FireWire 800 and USB 2, but it should have an Ethernet socket around the back. I wouldn't bother with Firewire 800, it's mostly a legacy connector. Your 2020 Mac mini also has an Ethernet socket built in, so an Ethernet cable should be just fine. The Mac mini has a couple of USB-A ports on it as well as a couple of usb-C ports on it (thunderbolt 3 ??)....among other things, so either Ethernet or USB would work.

john b

Cables to connect 2020 Mac-mini to 2009 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.