Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just ordered a new Mac Mini to replace my Early 2009 Power Mac.. What adapter is available to connect PowerMac Firewire to Mac Mini Thunderbolt 3?

Just ordered a new Mac Mini to replace my Early 2009 Power Mac.. What adapter is available to connect PowerMac Firewire to Mac Mini Thunderbolt 3? I just don't want to buy the wrong one(s). The Firewire to Thunderbolt does not seem to be the right one for the Thunderbolt 3.

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies

Jun 3, 2019 4:48 PM in response to Tesserax

Not sure that the USB -C (Thunderbolt 3) port will accept this "Thunderbolt" plug. Apple is not specific here with exactly

what Thunderbolt it is..i.e., 2 or 3.... Thanks so much for your assistance. It was this link that got me confused in the first place.

My goal is to connect my old PowerMac to the new Mac Mini via a Firewire Port on the PowerMac and use the Thunderbolt 3 port on the Mac Mini to migrate everything over to the Mac Mini then convert the PowerMac into a server of some kind as I have beaucoup images on the 3 internal hard drives.

Jun 3, 2019 10:36 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry to sound like such a dim bulb but are you saying I need two cords to accomplish a FireWire to Thunderbolt 3 connection?

First the FireWire to Thunderbolt and then to the Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3?

Sounds like a direct, one cord solution is not available. Thanks for your advice. Obsolescence is painful (and profitable).

Just ordered a new Mac Mini to replace my Early 2009 Power Mac.. What adapter is available to connect PowerMac Firewire to Mac Mini Thunderbolt 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.