Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) restarting when charging with closed lid

Hi,

My mbp keeps restarting when i plug in the charger and the lid is closed.

I have installed the supplimental update. (version 10.15.4 (19E287)).

I use the notebook on battery and when i'm finished i close the lid and plug in the charger.

When i retrun to it asks for password and loads the os. I recieve the error that the notebook was restarted...

Waiting for suggestion on how to fix this issue.

Regards,

T

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 12:38 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 12, 2020 7:09 PM in response to janc_24

Hello jana_24.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, your MacBook Po has been restarting on its own when the lid is closed and plugged into charge. I will be glad to assist. The following resource has some great steps that can help resolve this problem:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

May 1, 2020 8:04 PM in response to ClassicII

Thanks for sharing it. I just got my new 16" Macbook pro 3 weeks ago and it happened to me many times. It happened with/without the macbook connected to external monitor, with/without charging cable, super annoying.

This is the second 16" MacBook Pro I'm using this year and just this one is having this problem. The other was bought in January and I used it for 2 months without any problem.

Jun 3, 2020 9:55 AM in response to janc_24

I got a new 16" macbook pro last month- same issue, went through about a week of work with apple support over the phone and they could not fix the issue. ended up returning macbook.

Ordered a new one this month, SAME PROBLEM. I can't believe this. Apple does not seem to be actually addressing it in any productive way, and are still sending out defective computers. If I can't get it fixed doing some deeper digging (which I did a lot of last month with the first one), I will sadly have to return another laptop, and think about really not using Apple anymore.

Jun 21, 2020 5:33 AM in response to janc_24

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro 16 inch. I have called apple support and followed their direction to reinstall the operating system but same issue. Given other are experiencing the same issue I am reluctant to send more of my time trying to root cause this issue. I have Apple care but that doesn't see to help me anymore than if I didn't pay for this extra level of service.

Aug 2, 2020 12:23 AM in response to janc_24

I got my --- details on my newer MBP I got in FEB.

MBP 16 inch 2019 processor 2,4 GHz 8-core intel Core i9

Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

STARTUP DISK Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Serial Number Co***D6X

background info and situation:

I cureetly an retred but have been going to school now for digital media technology. I am also taking drone classaes and a photography program. Originally i was going to go fo ra 13 inch again. I had a dinasor Mac. With Catelina I just couldnt do the updates and get my old MBP running smooth. I went with a 13 inch and the day after they annouced the 16 inch. So much more int he 16 inch that I needed. I knoew I was dropping a lot of coin but I considered it an investment in me and my classes and grades. Evrything in my programs at my school is Mac Based. We do use some Adobe products on our Macs. I needed this 16 inch MBP.

It worked fine at first. I always do all the updates. I worked in investements for close to 30 years and I am on top of it. I always was in the Army. Technology was a big deal for me in the Army when I was in Iraq.

So here I am.... over 3 months now, case after case and call ins and no help. I was told my resps the last update that dfinally came out wouod tke care of the problem it did not. Not at all. I went from 1 in 5 times a restart would happen in sleep mode. The problem with that is at home in my office here or at school I may be working on more than one computer. So my MBP may go to sleep while I fine tune some things on a better computer at school. Once sleep mode hits, I have to restart it. It is extrememly frustraiting.

I was told it is a software issue. I have done 3 very comon work arounds that some people have had work for them or had some sort of success. I HAVE NOT. My computer weather plugged in or not, out of sleep mode I hate to do a restart and then send a ewrror message over. I spent close to 4K on this PC.my first Mac I loves.Neve had a issues.

I was told this is a software issue. I am srtarting to wonder if Catelina was put out from Beta testing to new users way to soon with bugs.

Does anyone have any new fresh ideas? Or someone that they think I can talk to or email. i hate sitting on hold over a hour only to get someone that after loooking at my case number they cant give me answers. I am thining maybe I just trade this computer off and get that 13 inch. this 16 ionch has so much to offer however. BUt I cant be in class wroking in groups and giving a presentation and it has to be restarted all the time like this summer. I am out of the 90 day window for the warrenty. But they said it was a software issue anyways.

I have no clue what do do. I have done a very comon fix where u go into energy saver and adjust the settings there. I have done some things in safe mode.

I may get one time where I can just open it up with my finger print and that is it.

Any suggesdtions would be great. It is August. This has been going on for me a good 3 full months now. I can not get any resolve I know there has to be others out there with these issues....

persdonally ieven if it is a softwaare issue someone from Apple should be able to help I Would think. Or do they just not care anymore? I would seriously just get a diff one and trade this off. But then I worry the same thing will continue.

ANY advice would be greately appreciated. I have sat on hold a good 6-8 hours. I just cant get help when I get someone and am told they are working on it and it will be fixed in the next update and it isn't.

Thanks

Steve

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) restarting when charging with closed lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.