Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing iPhone-shot slow-motion clips in iMovie

Hi,

I shot a slow-motion clip with an iPhone eleven; the slowed-down bit starts after about three seconds.

I've imported the clip to Photos, then exported and imported with other clips to iMovie to make a holiday film.

When editing the particular clip in iMovie, can I edit which section of the clip is slowed-down?

I see a bunch of handles to pull, but none of them seem to do the trick.

Cheers,

Anders

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 2:29 AM

You can split up the clip and then edit each segment separately. Select a segment and control-click on it to get a drop down menu. From the drop down menu select Show Speed Editor. A speed adjustment slider handle will appear at the upper right hand corner of the clip. Slide the handle backwards or forwards to change the speed of the segment.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 2:29 AM in response to abrotherus01

You can split up the clip and then edit each segment separately. Select a segment and control-click on it to get a drop down menu. From the drop down menu select Show Speed Editor. A speed adjustment slider handle will appear at the upper right hand corner of the clip. Slide the handle backwards or forwards to change the speed of the segment.

-- Rich

Apr 12, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply - I went ahead and tried your trick. It works well, but in this case the transition from normal speed to slowmotion is very rapid.

On the iPhone you can edit which segment of any clip shot in slowmotion is, in fact, in slowmotion. Also, the effect starts with a smooth transition. Is it possible to do this same edit in iMovie?

Editing iPhone-shot slow-motion clips in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.