Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the purpose of Photos in Finder's media browser?

Say I want to upload something to the web or import media into an application, most often I face up the Finder file browser for selecting files. At the bottom of the sidebar there is a section called "Media", under which I can see "Photos" and "Movies".

Suppose I want to upload a Photo. All my photos and albums are in Photos library with iCloud sync enabled, so obviously I navigate to Photos. Now here's what I don't understand. At the top I can see my Photos library selected, making me think I'm now browsing my whole library. But what I see in the thumbnail gallery is a very limited set ot photos.

I should see thousands, but I only see a few dozen. Also if I select an album, I can confirm that not all photos are shown, most albums actually show up empty. If I go to Photos app and look at the same albums, all the photos are there as they should.

I thought this may be related to iCloud not keeping the originals on my Mac, so I did a test. If I select a thumbnail in Photos app and open it (this should temporarily load the original in local storage) the same photo can then be seen in Finder's media browser.

But still, I don't understand the purpose of the media browser.

Why doesn't it show thumbnails like Photos does?

Why doesn't it inform the user about missing content?

What is the inteded workflow for the user to select a photo using this file browser?

Lastly, if I switch from Photos to Media in the top menu, nothing happens. Not very useful.

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 5:53 AM

See if this helps: If the Media Browser doesn't show your entire Photos library - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 12, 2020 7:08 AM in response to dialabrain

I tried to reproduce the issue and was able to. Albums are empty by default. I opened / downloaded a photo in an album, reopened the media browser, and it was the only photo available to select.

It also took about ~1 full minute for photos to load (2018 MacBook Air) to the point where I can even see my albums. That's a problem - it makes the media browser impractical.

Apr 12, 2020 5:41 AM in response to Julius N

I have my Photos Library in iCloud. I have no idea how many photos are "synced to local storage," but it appears all of my photos are there and have thumbnails.

I suggested opening a photo in Preview using the media browser in order to determine if you see the same problem in a different app.

That would indicate you have your primary library set as the System Library. I'm not certain, but I think the System Library is the only one referenced in the media browser (and other things like the screen saver).

Apr 12, 2020 6:41 AM in response to dialabrain

Ok, that is most likely what's happening here.

But why would Apple design media browser to show only local files? If Photos can view thumbnails why can't media browser Apple's solution is inconvenient and defeats the purpose of optimising mac storage. Why not make iCloud media available everywhere in the system, not just specific apps like Photos?

What is the purpose of Photos in Finder's media browser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.