Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text tone not working

My text tones no longer work and I can't figure out why. I've been in the settings, and either I'm missing something obvious or there's something wrong with the phone. The ring tones work fine. I have an iPhone X.

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 8:49 PM

Have you enabled "Deliver Quietly" for messages?

Watch the GIF below

Manage notifications

To manage your notifications from the Lock screen or Notification Center:

1. Swipe left over an alert or group of alerts.
    • Tap Manage, then select from these options: Deliver Quietly: These notifications appear in the Notification Center, but don't show up on the Lock screen, play sounds, or show a banner or badge icon.
    • Turn Off: This turns off all notifications for a specific app. To turn this back on, go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, and tap Allow Notifications. 

You can also tap Settings to change your alert styles or alert settings for a specific app. 

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 8:49 PM in response to rags34

Have you enabled "Deliver Quietly" for messages?

Watch the GIF below

Manage notifications

To manage your notifications from the Lock screen or Notification Center:

1. Swipe left over an alert or group of alerts.
    • Tap Manage, then select from these options: Deliver Quietly: These notifications appear in the Notification Center, but don't show up on the Lock screen, play sounds, or show a banner or badge icon.
    • Turn Off: This turns off all notifications for a specific app. To turn this back on, go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, and tap Allow Notifications. 

You can also tap Settings to change your alert styles or alert settings for a specific app. 

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 12, 2020 6:19 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for the reply, this is helpful information. I was able to enable my text tones but I think it was through an update of the notification settings for messages. When I was having the problem, I was updating the alert tones (e.g., from circles to complete), and expected to hear the sound of the alert but would only feel the vibration tone I had set (but no sound). I'm not sure what changed, but now I do hear the text tones and when I change the alert tones I hear the sounds. Thanks again.

text tone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.