Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone text tone doesn't always work

When someone sends me a text, sometimes I get a tone and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I hear the tone on my iPad, but not on my phone. How do I fix this?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 10:33 AM

Found the problem. I reset all the settings on my phone. Then while trying to set up everything the way I had it, I must have inadvertently turned off Messages in iCloud. I turned it back on and everything seems to work now.

Settings>MyName>Apple ID>iCloud

7 replies

Jan 31, 2022 6:42 AM in response to Kluunsi

Hi Kluunsi,

It sounds like you're not always getting an alert when you get a text. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

If you are seeing the messages, but just not getting the alerts follow the advice in Change message notifications on iPhone. Follow the advice and check your settings as outlined in the sections, "Manage notifications for messages" and "Set a Focus and schedule a summary of your notifications." You'll also want to be sure to check and see if Do Not Disturb is on and double-check the ringtone and alert tones for each app.

If the issue remains after following the advice above, let us know if this is the native Messages app from Apple or third-party apps that you're getting messages from.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Jan 31, 2022 9:18 AM in response to ryane77

I am using the native Messages app from Apple. I've discovered that I can only get an alert sound from messages when I choose the default sound (Note). Phone is not silenced. I have deleted every Focus except Do Not Disturb and it is not on. Also, I am no longer getting message notifications in the upper right corner of my Mac. Here are my iPhone messages settings:

iPhone text tone doesn't always work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.