Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow flash drives?

I am puzzled by what seem to be very slow transfer speeds to/from flash USB drives. I have tried 4 of them now, and seem to get transfer rates of <20MBs on the best of them. But on conventional USB drives, I get transfer rates of >100MBs. What's up with that? Is there something about the flash technology or its interface with my MBP that slows them down? I got them just because I expected higher transfer rates than with conventional drive media, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I have noticed the slow rates not only with Finder and Carbon Copy but with Blackmagic's Disk Speed Test. And it doesn't seem to matter whether they are formatted as APFS or Mac+Extended/GUID.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 2:23 PM

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /TouchBar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

USB 2 ?

USB 3 ?

USBC 3.1?

Is this through a built in port or Docking station?

About USB on Mac computers - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 12, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Mark LeBar

An idea - where feasible to upgrade by replacement - an internal SSD, and re-use that internal storage

drive within an external enclosure, is good where possible; since those can be placed inside either a

self-powered enclosure or bus-powered one.

Certain 'build model years' of portable Mac computer where upgrade to internal is possible,

available; a search to see if upgrade to internal SSD; or use larger external enclosed SSD, to

supplement-limited capacity internal drive, is possible as boot-drive.

You may use main link to see what examples of hardware upgrade may exist for your '2014 era'

MacBook Pro 13-inch, to determine with better knowledge, your options.

An example of one (out of several listed as 2014 MB/Pro 13-in) shows good details:

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-pro-retina-13-inch-mid-2014-2.8-ghz

And replacement SSDs (in example) can be ordered with their own enclosure for use as external.

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-pro-retina-13-inch-mid-2014-2.8-ghz/internal-drives

Also external docks and hubs with various ports, some with additional power and data, and other

configurations can be useful; from desktop especially where portable Macs could use expandability.

• Upgrades Guaranteed to work with your Mac - OWC

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-pro

For some of those models and of these certain ones propriety to brands such as Apple,

see OWC (mac-centric reseller) and they're good to support best practical functions.

A few ideas are included about 'port power vs external sourced power' for secondary device storage:

• If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377

Supplemental power, or the lack of, may be an issue resolved by careful rationing of power; or acquire

self-powered peripheral accessories. Newer ports and power configurations tend to confuse!

Apr 11, 2020 4:25 PM in response to Mark LeBar

You may have to research the 'read' and 'write' speeds of various brand USB flash drives.

Of those in retail, details are harder to find. Resellers sometimes hit-and-miss in their site.

[This one has a mix of specs and use mostly to cost compare regional price.]

Not sure why they don't all just say the exact specification of read/write speeds.

There are several variables across brands; the price-points often reflect 'slow-to-faster'.

Some of mine are glaciery slow; like 'awaiting new ice age' into sweltering desert lands.

Names like Lexar, Verbatim, Kingston, among others have lower price slower transfer speed

USB flash; of these several have newer design physical port/plug adaptation for USB3/USB-C.

When downloads are between offline devices or drives, there may be curious discrepancies.

Apr 11, 2020 5:53 PM in response to leroydouglas

Most USB sticks are notoriously slow when writing regardless of the stated USB interface specifications. In fact the quality of the flash memory used in many sticks is subpar and tends to corrupt data. Some USB sticks are "ok" at writing, but I still wouldn't consider them fast. If you want a USB stick with fast write speeds (>200MB/s) then you will need to pay for it as they are not cheap. I understand one of the Sandisk models has very fast write speeds, but costs $50US IIRC.

You will need to do a lot of research in order to find a model of USB stick that has fast write speeds. Finding reliable reviews and benchmarks is probably the easiest way, but the ones with these details are few and far between. Most of the advertising tricks you into believing their USB stick is fast by throwing around terms like "USB3" or "up to 500MB/s" which is just telling you what the USB3 interface is capable of doing and not what the USB stick itself can actually do. Some USB2 sticks are actually faster than some USB3 sticks.

A named brand USB stick tends to better & more reliable than off brands, but even name brand USB sticks tend to have a lot of issues and are at best just average on their write speeds.

Apr 12, 2020 10:46 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks. Your response pointed me toward going with an 3.0 SSD drive rather than a thumb drive, since apparently the transfer rate isn't a matter of the flash memory used, but other elements of the interface. And since what I really want is speed, I can trade off the convenience of the thumb package for something larger but faster. Very difficult, it seems to be, to get accurate info on actual transfer performance, but I appreciate the pointers!

Apr 14, 2020 10:25 AM in response to Mark LeBar

There are options shown to allow use of external storage, that

can help your non-owned 'company Mac' work more efficiently.

And these products could later be useful for your own computers

as storage, or to enhance data processing via thorough-put.

Also look into backup options; external drives for use with backup clones

and additional for Time Machine, etc. There's actually nothing to hack and

to imply that was advised by me, is simply misinterpreted understanding.

Good luck in any event..!🌻☃️

Apr 14, 2020 10:50 AM in response to K Shaffer

Yes, I'm already using a number of external drives for both cloning and TM. I was looking for something faster.

By "hacking" all I meant was a non-factory upgrade to memory or storage, which I've done before. As I say, I'm happy to do that to ones I own, less so to ones I don't. But if I'm doing the work, it's not anything Apple will stand behind, for obvious reason!

Slow flash drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.