Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth earphones aren't showing up as output device on mac

So I've connect my bluetooth earphones to my mac and the quality of sound of wayyy down than usual. I check everything and find out that there isn't an option for output device for my earphones, only the internal speakers, even though it's still playing into my earphones.

Also to note that sometimes when I connect the headset after forgetting the device, it comes up with "A new network interface has been detected: The "Bluetooth PAN" network interface has not been set up. To set up this interface, use Network Preferences.

It's starting to get real annoying, I've tried resetting my earphones but that doesn't even work

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 1:17 AM

The Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) is used for close-quarters connections between a Bluetooth compatible device, like an iPhone, Android, or iPad, and a computer, like a Mac or Windows PC. I am not quite sure whether your bluetooth headphones are connected with that channel and that can explain the degradation of the sound quality.

Can you disconnect all peripheral devices connected to your MacBook Air? Disconnect any devices connected to your MacBook Air via its ports. Then shut down and reboot your MacBook. Try pairing the bluetooth headphones without anything connected then see if that works. If that works then begin connecting the devices to the MacBook's ports.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 1:17 AM in response to IMidge05

The Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) is used for close-quarters connections between a Bluetooth compatible device, like an iPhone, Android, or iPad, and a computer, like a Mac or Windows PC. I am not quite sure whether your bluetooth headphones are connected with that channel and that can explain the degradation of the sound quality.

Can you disconnect all peripheral devices connected to your MacBook Air? Disconnect any devices connected to your MacBook Air via its ports. Then shut down and reboot your MacBook. Try pairing the bluetooth headphones without anything connected then see if that works. If that works then begin connecting the devices to the MacBook's ports.

Axel F.

Bluetooth earphones aren't showing up as output device on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.