Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install a IPA file to my iphone

I got an IPA file from internet and how can I install it to my iphone?

For some reasons, I cannot download one app from App Store. So I select to download its IPA from internet.

My device: iPhone XR

iOS: 13.3.1

iTunes for windows: 12.9.3.3

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 3:42 AM

You cannot anymore, that feature got removed in October 2017 with iTunes 12.7. Before that, it was possible to install IPAs onto your iOS device using iTunes, but only those that were linked to your Apple ID. So a random IPA cannot be installed onto your iPhone at all.

Earlier versions of iTunes had access to the iOS App Store, but you had to be signed into iTunes with your Apple ID, in order to download (and sync) apps onto your iPhone. If you downloaded the IPA from the internet and you haven't downloaded it from the App Store using a version of iTunes earlier than 12.7, there is no way to install this IPA. Apple mostly did this to prevent piracy of paid apps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 3:42 AM in response to sincos2007

You cannot anymore, that feature got removed in October 2017 with iTunes 12.7. Before that, it was possible to install IPAs onto your iOS device using iTunes, but only those that were linked to your Apple ID. So a random IPA cannot be installed onto your iPhone at all.

Earlier versions of iTunes had access to the iOS App Store, but you had to be signed into iTunes with your Apple ID, in order to download (and sync) apps onto your iPhone. If you downloaded the IPA from the internet and you haven't downloaded it from the App Store using a version of iTunes earlier than 12.7, there is no way to install this IPA. Apple mostly did this to prevent piracy of paid apps.

How can I install a IPA file to my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.