Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AAE to JPG

How do you open an AAE file from my iphone to my macbook?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 7:00 AM

10 replies

Apr 13, 2020 9:45 AM in response to LACAllen

The AAE files are always saved to the same folders as the JPGs.

The files are on my phone as AAE files.

They are in RECENTS and can be viewed on the iPhone in that folder with limited editing.

I transfer them either by AIRDROP or IMAGE CAPTURE and when I open the targeted folder on my Macbook air using FINDER they are XXX.AAE files. ALL OF THEM.

I cannot open them with preview or iPhoto, so I cannot edit ( not even MS Digital Image Pro, or Photoshop)

I rename them XXXX.JPG or TIF, or PNG,and cannot open to view or edit.

I HAVE NO NEED FOR AAE files. I have been using an iPhone to take, and transfer pics since iPhone 4 days.

I want my phone camera back to taking .JPG photos not some fancy schmancy metdata file for photoshopping.

Bottom line:

give ME control of what they are.

Apr 13, 2020 10:04 AM in response to LACAllen

AGAIN

AAE are usless files - the ONLY place I can see them is on my phone.

ONLY PLACE I CAN SEE THEM IS ON MY PHONE

useless.

I cannot edit because I cannot open them.

What part of cannot see them do you not understand?

Read my last response.

I even tried a thmb drive attached to my phone with a dongle - they are NOT PICTURES but XXX.AAE.

What Apple app understands an AAE file?? _ how can an app open an AAE file if it is NOT a photo.

I lost a lot of pics because of this - they are stuck on my iPhone 7 because I cannot get them AS PICTURES to my Macbook to archive or edit.

My phone is now just a phone - camera is useless if I cannot share or transfer pictures.

Apr 13, 2020 10:56 AM in response to LACAllen

What info is helpful at the beginning?

I UNDERSTAND that they are DATA files and Not pics -

BUT please understand that when I airdrop a .doc file I get a .doc file from iphone to macbook or vicey vesey.

When I select from my PHOTO app a photo to share to my Macbook it appears on the Macbook as an AAE. NOT a jpg as it used to be.

I am not trying to edit only transfer. I have done nothing but TAKE THE PICTURE.

Forget editing, changing, saving.

I want to MOVE them.

So far are this bloviating on our part has not helped.

Maybe my question should be:

Why are my photos appearing after airdop as AAE files instead of JPG??

ANSWER THAT please

Apr 13, 2020 7:06 AM in response to rcastardo

when I upload the "pics" to my macbook all I get is AAE files - not the photo.
WHY?

How are you uploading them? From where? The AAE files are always saved to the same folders as the JPGs.

You can't turn off AAE if you edit JPGs using an Apple Photo app. It's how non-destructive editing works.

If you don't save/archive the AAE files, your edits are lost.

Without AAE sidecar files, you need to save a version of a JPG with each edit applied. Once you overwrite the original, you can't go back.

Apr 13, 2020 9:54 AM in response to rcastardo

I cannot open them with preview or iPhoto, so I cannot edit ( not even MS Digital Image Pro, or Photoshop)

Again. An AAE file has no image data. They can't be opened by any app.

If you are using an Apple Photo app that understands what an AAE file is, by opening the image file, the edits in the AAE are applied. You are viewing a edited JPG.

If there are no edits, there are no AAE files. When you click on REVERT in an Apple photo app, the edits in the AAE file are reversed and you are back to the original JPEG file.

I want my phone camera back to taking .JPG photos

It does. Editing a photo in a photo app creates the AAE file. Again, no edits = no AAE file.

It seems you are not managing your photos using the photos app. That is certainly your choice to make. By working outside of the photos app, you are seeing the complexity of how edits are managed by iOS.

give ME control of what they are

I am not Apple. so demanding this from me is pointless.

Best of luck.

Apr 13, 2020 10:26 AM in response to rcastardo

I am NOT editing them prior to tranfering.
Take picture
2. View on iphone in recent, select picture
3. airdrop picture to macbook
4. Open finder, file that is supposed to be xxx.jpg is xxx.aae
5. end of process
all I get are useless AAE files - no photos
BTW - this only started after "upgrade" to IOS 13.3.1

All information that would have been helpful at the beginning of your conversation.

Let us know how this works out for you.

AAE to JPG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.