Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

free iCloud Storage insufficient for Backup of iPhone 8

Has anyone signed up for more iCloud storage just long enough to backup phone for replacement and then decreased back to free amount?

If so was all the cloud storage deleted or was there some system to what got deleted in excess of the free amount?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:19 PM

I should have posted this before. It’s worth a look.

Downgrade your iCloud storage - Apple Support

5 replies

Apr 12, 2020 12:17 PM in response to edwinmjr

I have never done that but, I would caution that if you are getting a replacement device with the same amount of storage or more storage, your backups are going to be larger in the future anyway. If you sync messages, documents, reminders, and notes with iCloud, those take up space as well. If you use iCloud Photos and you have a lot of photos, that can take up really large amounts of storage.

IF you need the storage for the backup now, you will need it in the future as well unless you are going to a smaller capacity device in which case you would lose data because you wouldn’t be able to restore the larger backup to the smaller capacity device.

Apr 13, 2020 4:53 AM in response to edwinmjr

If you purchased more storage, backed up, restored the backup to the new phone and then immediately backup to your computer, that would work. But that begs the question, why not just backup to your computer and forget using the iCloud backup?

Remember that 50GB of storage only costs 99¢ per month in the U.S., so I wouldn’t cancel the plan for a couple of weeks just to be safe.

free iCloud Storage insufficient for Backup of iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.