Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation Lock

I wanted to re-use an old ipad mini of mine but it won't let me in.

The message is "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad.

I've tried all the passwords I have used but nothing is working.

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 4:21 PM

Activation Lock is tied to the specified Apple ID (see the Apple ID hint shown in the display), and its associated password. If you don’t have that and can’t reset access into that Apple ID, then you’ll want the proof of original purchase receipt and matching photo ID and a discussion with Apple Support. Activation Lock is a theft deterrent mechanism, and it would not be a particularly effective one were it easy to bypass.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 4:21 PM in response to SunJJ

Activation Lock is tied to the specified Apple ID (see the Apple ID hint shown in the display), and its associated password. If you don’t have that and can’t reset access into that Apple ID, then you’ll want the proof of original purchase receipt and matching photo ID and a discussion with Apple Support. Activation Lock is a theft deterrent mechanism, and it would not be a particularly effective one were it easy to bypass.

Activation Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.