Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using bluetooth PAN to restore internet to a MacBook Pro with dead WiFi Hardware.

Is it possible to share a wifi connection via bluetooth from an older macbook (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) with a functional wifi hardware to a newer MacBook (mac OS Catalina 10.15.2) whose wifi hardware has just failed? I've tried to set this up but it's not working and I suspect the models of MacBook are too distant from each other for this to work.

I have walked through the steps to share the connection on the El Capitan macbook, and I can pair with it on the Catalina macbook, but when I go to Bluetooth PAN under "Network", the "Device:" pulldown menu is greyed out and says "No PAN Devices Found".

Backstory:

My newer MBP (13-inch, late 2016, two thunderbolt 3 ports, running macOS Catalina, macOS 10.15.2) crashed yesterday and wouldn't connect to wifi after the crash. Apple diagnostics unfortunately confirms that the wifi hardware has crapped out for no apparent reason, saying, " There may be an issue with the WiFi hardware. Reference Code: CNW001".

Because of covid restrictions, apple stores are closed and it looks like the remaining certified places that would fix this will keep my macbook out of commission for weeks, so I'm hoping I can use my older macbook to share internet with the newer one via bluetooth. So, internet connects to Old MBP via WiFi and old MBP connects to new MBP via bluetooth.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 8:56 PM

I think you have a different problem on the newer computer other than bad hardware which is not the reported issue. Here are some things to try:

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Last, I would do the following:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up, if possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 8:56 PM in response to joesapp

I think you have a different problem on the newer computer other than bad hardware which is not the reported issue. Here are some things to try:

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Last, I would do the following:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up, if possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Using bluetooth PAN to restore internet to a MacBook Pro with dead WiFi Hardware.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.