Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Universal Control with linked keyboard and mouse need wifi?

I have two Macs. Both Macs have System Preferences > General > "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCoud devices" turned on. And both Macs have Bluetooth turned on. Also, in System Preferences > Displays > Universal Control > all the options are turned on.

Mac #1 is connected via Ethernet with wifi turned on but not connected to any network. The wifi menu bar icon is gray. In System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi the Network Name is gray and says "No network selected". The internet connection is via Ethernet. In System Preferences > Network, Ethernet is at the top of the list of networks and it says "Connected".

Mac #2 is connected to the internet via wifi to a network like normal.

In the above configuration, Universal Control works for the two displays with linked keyboard and mouse. I can push the pointer to the edge of the screen and then control the other Mac.

But, if I turn off wifi on Mac #1, it doesn't work. Other aspects of Handoff work, and screen mirroring will work, but not linked keyboard and mouse.

Why?

Why is wifi needed on Mac #?

The wifi on Mac #1 isn't doing anything, is it? How can the wifi do anything when it's not connected to a network?

Is macOS using wifi to transfer data between the Macs directly even though there's no indication of that? When the wifi on Mac #2 is already connected to a router, how could it also be directly connected to Mac #1?

Or, is wifi required for some other reason?

I'm just curious. I can leave the wifi on. It's not causing a problem other than it confuses me.

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 7:52 AM

Terry315D wrote:

I have two Macs. Both Macs have System Preferences > General > "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCoud devices" turned on. And both Macs have Bluetooth turned on. Also, in System Preferences > Displays > Universal Control > all the options are turned on.

I'm just curious. I can leave the wifi on. It's not causing a problem other than it confuses me.

Many features depend on both Bluetooth and WiFi being enabled....

ref

Use Continuity to work across Apple devices

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Update your iDevice - The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, is iOS 15.6

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Terry315D

Terry315D wrote:

Many features depend on both Bluetooth and WiFi being enabled....

ref

Use Continuity to work across Apple devices

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5

Update your iDevice - The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, is iOS 15.6

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2022 9:55 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, I know. That didn't answer my question.

My questions were:

Why is wifi needed on Mac #?

The wifi on Mac #1 isn't doing anything, is it? How can the wifi do anything when it's not connected to a network?

Is macOS using wifi to transfer data between the Macs directly even though there's no indication of that? When the wifi on Mac #2 is already connected to a router, how could it also be directly connected to Mac #1?

Or, is wifi required for some other reason?

Why does Universal Control with linked keyboard and mouse need wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.