Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove DeluxeFocus virus/adware?

We have a computer that DeluxeFocus has installed itself on. Basically, it takes over your search engine and gives you only results from its paid advertisers.

To remove it from extensions it sends you to the Applications folder so I have removed the app and any other apps I wasn't familiar with from the applications folder.

Since it has taken over all browsers on my computer, I looked in startup items and removed the two associated apps there. I rebooted and I was able to search with Google for about 30 mins. before it reinstalled itself again. How is this even possible?

I quick search on the web shows several probably fake websites saying you have to use "ComboCleaner" to remove it.

What is the process for removing these types of programs? I tried TotalAV but it didn't find it and it isn't free like it advertises. Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 6:43 AM

What is the process for removing these types of programs?

Briefly stated, the process involves examining the contents of certain folders, removing any file(s) responsible for their appearance, uninstalling unwanted Safari Extensions, removing rogue Profiles, and resetting your desired Search preferences. There is no product or utility that is capable of performing all those potentially required actions.

Start with the following:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

To open that folder, copy the entire line above and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field. Make it look like this:

... and click the Go button.

A Finder window will open. Take a screenshot showing all that folder's contents.

Often, there is nothing in that Launch Agents folder so don't be surprised to find it empty.

In the same manner as the above, navigate to this next folder:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

... and click the Go button once again.

Once again ensure all its files and their names are readable and capture a screenshot.

Then, repeat that exercise with the following folder:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Notice its pathname is different than the other two. The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

In the end, you will have captured the contents of the following three separate folders:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchAgents

All three will be saved to your Mac's Desktop with names "Screen Shot... " followed by the date and time they were captured. Please be sure to include or otherwise indicate the name of the folder that corresponds to each screenshot, so that you and I can keep track of which ones they are.

Post their entire contents of all three windows, one at a time, using the "picture" icon that appears below your reply text:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 6:43 AM in response to Derryl Rice1

What is the process for removing these types of programs?

Briefly stated, the process involves examining the contents of certain folders, removing any file(s) responsible for their appearance, uninstalling unwanted Safari Extensions, removing rogue Profiles, and resetting your desired Search preferences. There is no product or utility that is capable of performing all those potentially required actions.

Start with the following:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

To open that folder, copy the entire line above and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field. Make it look like this:

... and click the Go button.

A Finder window will open. Take a screenshot showing all that folder's contents.

Often, there is nothing in that Launch Agents folder so don't be surprised to find it empty.

In the same manner as the above, navigate to this next folder:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

... and click the Go button once again.

Once again ensure all its files and their names are readable and capture a screenshot.

Then, repeat that exercise with the following folder:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Notice its pathname is different than the other two. The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

In the end, you will have captured the contents of the following three separate folders:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchAgents

All three will be saved to your Mac's Desktop with names "Screen Shot... " followed by the date and time they were captured. Please be sure to include or otherwise indicate the name of the folder that corresponds to each screenshot, so that you and I can keep track of which ones they are.

Post their entire contents of all three windows, one at a time, using the "picture" icon that appears below your reply text:

Apr 12, 2020 8:45 PM in response to Derryl Rice1

Basics for Uninstalling Software

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash.  Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder.  Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space.  If you want you can look for them at the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. If you cannot find the uninstaller then you could download the freeware, Easy Find, to locate files that need to be removed. The places you need to search include:

1. /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. Check if the application has created a folder then delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder.
  2. Applications may install a startupitem or a LogIn item. StartupItems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder or the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder.  Login Items are set in the Users & Groups preferences. Open it in System Preferences, then click on the Login Items tab. Select the item from the list and click on the Delete [-] button to remove it.
  3. Some software use startup daemons or agents.  Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder.  Usually with the same name as the program or the developer.  The item generally has a ".pkg" extension.  Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications.  Here is a selection:

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

How to remove DeluxeFocus virus/adware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.