Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13.4.1 and battery drain

Immediately after updating to iOS 13.4.1 my battery (97% health) began to drain from Mail-Background Activity. I set the Background App Refresh to OFF, Fetch for all mail and calendars is set to Manual. I did a system reboot. I have turned off all automatic updates, etc. I fully charged the battery, turned off the screen and let it set unused. In 9 1/2 hours the battery drained 39%. Is there some work-around for this problem? I have run out of things to turn off.

iPhone 8 Plus, 13

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 5:56 AM

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery: About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...

Try some of these options too.

1. Avoid Screen Mirroring
  2. Put on Low Power Mode
  3. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  4. Put Auto Answer Off
  5. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  6. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  7. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  8. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  9. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  10. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  11. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  12. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  13. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  14. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  15. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  16. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  17. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  18. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

iPhone Battery and Performance

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 5:56 AM in response to DSMJr

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery: About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...

Try some of these options too.

1. Avoid Screen Mirroring
  2. Put on Low Power Mode
  3. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  4. Put Auto Answer Off
  5. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  6. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  7. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  8. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  9. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  10. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  11. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  12. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  13. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  14. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  15. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  16. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  17. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  18. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

iPhone Battery and Performance

Apr 18, 2020 10:16 AM in response to Prashant-shah

I have found that when I open my contacts and select one, after several seconds the screen will blink as the phone selects “message” “call” “FaceTime” and “mail” in sequence then repeats over and over. I have not been able to find any setting that will stop this. It began with the system update. Background App Refresh is Off, Fetch for all calendars and mail accounts is set to Manual. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The battery drain is so rapid the charge will not make a day even without any use. I am trying to avoid a Reset if possible. I may soon be forced to drag out my old Samsung.

Apr 27, 2020 1:10 AM in response to Questionquestioner

I did the ipdate last night. My phone drained 16% of the battery during the night with no apps open. This problem has mever been experienced with Ios 13.3.x

I an using a Iphone 11 Pro Max. Battery isually keeps 2 days. Something is not right with Ios 13.4.1 I have never experienced a drain like this on any of my Iphones.

I have also not changed any settings. Is apple looking into this?

Apr 27, 2020 7:13 AM in response to Prashant-shah

Most of my apps have updated. I still have everything set for low battery usage, manual mail retrieval, updates, etc. The battery drain problem still persists but it is more erratic now. I have been routinely monitoring the battery app in Settings and the main offender is Mail - Background Activity. I am not sure what else to do. One of the main reasons I opted for the iPhone 8 Plus was the battery life. If I can not rely on it’s use then it is time to look for a more reliable alternative and use my iPhone as an expensive paperweight.

Jul 9, 2020 1:50 AM in response to DSMJr

Same still here, now with 13.5.1. Mail is eating 49% of the battery in the last 24 h. What helps is force quitting Mail. Normally it will not complete the update of the mailboxes and keep doing stuff, the busy wheel keeps turning, you can watch the battery going down and the phone will get warm. Force quitting and then restarting Mail will fix this and the mailboxes will update immediately.

IOS 13.4.1 and battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.