Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp & fullscreen issues in games with lower resolution than native (display is not scalled, but cropped to rectangle)

Hi, I have MacBook pro 2019 with i7-9750H, 16GB RAM & AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with drivers 19.30.03.05.

When i open any game on windows (installed via Bootcamp) for example Wither 3, in full-screen mode with resolution 1920x1200 (because it is laggy in native 3072x1920). Then game is not scaled to full-screen but instead is shown in little rectangle in top left corner and rest of screen is black.

I saw many topics on reddit written by people with the same issue. Every workaround were about installing unofficial drivers... And i don't want to lose my warranty if something goes wrong. So how to fix this issue in official way? When official drivers will be updated? This is what i see, Please help.

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 8:12 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 13, 2020 8:54 AM in response to PawKanarek

PawKanarek wrote:

Hi, I have MacBook pro 2019 with i7-9750H, 16GB RAM & AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with drivers 19.30.03.05.
When i open any game on windows (installed via Bootcamp) for example Wither 3, in full-screen mode with resolution 1920x1200 (because it is laggy in native 3072x1920). Then game is not scaled to full-screen but instead is shown in little rectangle in top left corner and rest of screen is black.

Can you play a 4K YouTube video in full resolution?

Every workaround were about installing unofficial drivers... And i don't want to lose my warranty if something goes wrong.

Your warranty will work, even if you install unofficial drivers. 😉

So how to fix this issue in official way?

Update AMD graphics drivers for Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support and test. You can also run Apple Software Update to check for updated drivers, if any.

When official drivers will be updated?

ASC (Apple Support Communities) cannot provide dates for updates. Contact Apple Technical Support or use https://feedbackassistant.apple.com to log a bug report.

Apr 13, 2020 9:13 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for reply!

Can you play a 4K YouTube video in full resolution?

Yes. Without any problems.

Your warranty will work, even if you install unofficial drivers. 😉

I'm talking about those drivers: https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/. They got big disclaimer:

By downloading and installing the modified drivers you accept that any irreversible losses are not my responsibility.

You also accept that any current AppleCare warranties may be voided by using these drivers.

Update AMD graphics drivers for Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support and test.

I've got newest drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support: select Graphics->Mac graphics -> Apple Boot Camp -> then downloaded "MacBook Pro (Retina, 16-inch, 2019) with Radeon Pro 5300M and 5500M Boot Camp Driver for Windows 10 Display Driver 19.30 11/20/2019", the file was: macbookpro_19.30.03.05_whql_191113a-348578c, and I've already got that version installed on my windows, so everything is up to date.

You can also run Apple Software Update to check for updated drivers, if any

I'm doing this step right now. There is new update 6.1.11! That's weird because I've installed Windows yesterday, i thought that boot camp installed newest version available from internet. Crossing fingers that this will help!

Apr 13, 2020 9:37 AM in response to PawKanarek

From Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty,

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

This Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple branded hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to you – please contact them for further information. Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered by this Warranty. Please refer to the licensing agreement accompanying the software for details of your rights with respect to its use. Apple does not warrant that the operation of the Apple Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the Apple Product’s use.

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time or batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (c) to damage caused by use with a third party component or product that does not meet the Apple Product’s specifications (Apple Product specifications are available at www.apple.com under the technical specifications for each product and also available in stores); (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, fire, liquid contact, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product; (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product; or (j) if Apple receives information from relevant public authorities that the product has been stolen or if you are unable to deactivate passcode-enabled or other security measures designed to prevent unauthorized access to the Apple Product, and you cannot prove in any way that you are the authorized user of the product (eg. by presenting proof of purchase).

Apr 13, 2020 9:33 AM in response to PawKanarek

New update didn't resolved my issue. Whats more: In AMD control panel i've added profile to witcher.exe. Inside profile settings there is option: "Display Scaling", with 4 options: none, center, full panel, keep proportion (labels may be different as i translated it from polish). I tried every option, with restarting game with every change, but result is always the same...

Apr 13, 2020 9:42 AM in response to PawKanarek

PawKanarek wrote:

I tried every option, with restarting game with every change, but result is always the same...

Create a Windows System Restore point, install the unofficial drivers and test. If they do not work, you can roll back the updated driver to the official version.

Regarding warranties, I run Linux and other OSes, on the same Mac (currently CentOS) with many 'unofficial' drivers. I have yet to encounter any issues.

Bootcamp & fullscreen issues in games with lower resolution than native (display is not scalled, but cropped to rectangle)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.