Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frame drops and overall Lag

Hi everyone,

Since this summer I am experiencing incredible stutters/Low Framerates in animations all accross MacOS (Excel, Messages, Chrome but especially visible with the Launchpad). The issue does not apply to games for some reasons. It started with a painfully slow full screen animation in YouTube and is now affecting the whole computer. My BootCamp partition feels fine. I tried forcing the use of the dedicated GPU but to no convincing result. I empty my browser's cache every couple months as advised in others posts for the YouTube animation yet nothing changed. Temperatures are fine, ecept for a few jumps every now and then. I have gotten used to it but it is now at a point where it is awfully annoying.

As I am working at home, I can't afford to do a clean install for now but will be hopefully soon if that is the best thing to do.

Also, I changed the battery and the thermal paste myself earlier this year and everything was fine until now. I am also making the utmost efforts in preserving my battery (Proper charge cycles etc.). Everything is obviously up to date. Is there something I missed ?

I have a mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro w/ Retina

Quad Core i7 @ 2,5Ghz

16Gb RAM

R9 M370X

Suffice to say it should run the OS just fine... Heck, the 1,3Ghz iMac at the office is not even as laggy.

pls help

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 9:38 AM

Well waiting for your reply I pulled the trigger on FireFox (I still used Chrome for my bookmarks, poor excuse I know). In making the move nothing changed. Messing with the "internet plugins" folder under "library", I came accross "flashplayer.xpt.", a quick google search convinced me to delete it AND GUESS WHAT?? I have a brand new computer !

So, anyone having this issue go to MACINTOSH HD > Library > Internet plugins > and delete "flashplayer.xpt" if it is present

Thank You Luis for your help and fast replies !

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well waiting for your reply I pulled the trigger on FireFox (I still used Chrome for my bookmarks, poor excuse I know). In making the move nothing changed. Messing with the "internet plugins" folder under "library", I came accross "flashplayer.xpt.", a quick google search convinced me to delete it AND GUESS WHAT?? I have a brand new computer !

So, anyone having this issue go to MACINTOSH HD > Library > Internet plugins > and delete "flashplayer.xpt" if it is present

Thank You Luis for your help and fast replies !

Nov 2, 2020 7:59 AM in response to HenryValade

HenryValade wrote:

Hi, Thank you for your fast reply. It seems I can't edit my post anymore so I will post the results here.
<EtreCheck report.log>

That is the right way to do it - you replied and posted the report. Great.

Your machine should work nicely with the current OS.

What is this nalpeiron thing? What is it used for?

Other than that, what is this 250GB drive? Maybe an SD card that you have inserted? SD cards are very slow, and if you are using that permanently with your mac (to store extra files, say) that can make most IO related operations go much slower.

If that is the case, try ejecting this drive or card, and see how well your mac performs when it is not connected.

Nov 2, 2020 8:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well I looked on the internet and it appears it could be something installed by some games and is "not harmful" as said by a user, I will try to delete it. The 250Gb storage should be my bootcamp partition as I have the 500Gb SSD.

Edit: Nalpeiron is related to Adobe products, Dofus is a Flash based game and installed on this computer, it is probably related

Nov 2, 2020 8:25 AM in response to HenryValade

Ok, the Bootcamp drive should not make your mac run slower [Sidenote: it is a bit strange that it says FAT12 as the format, instead of NTFS, but again this should not have anything to do with the present problem]

I also noticed macfanscontrol - any reason why you installed this? Your mac has sophisticated software for handling the fans and cpu speed depending on temperature and load. It could be that this is interfering with that and your mac may be slowing down to manage heat?

Nov 2, 2020 8:35 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

MacFansControl is a software I used to pin the Fans to their max rpm under heavy load, and to have a visual on the CPU temps, I usually use it on auto (Defaut Apple Behaviour) but find it not aggressive enough to keep temps down.

Does that mean that my last option is to reinstall the whole thing ?

Also my computer is not slow, the SSD is mad fast but it has some hiccups and the animations have a very low framerate (Scrolling through messages, changing windows, etc.)

I found on the internet that slow chrome animations are caused by the pepperflash plugin and one should disable it, do you know anything about that? Could this be the culprit? How could I disable it knowing I can no longer access Chrome:plugins?

Frame drops and overall Lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.