Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina update bricked my 2018 Mac mini

I did the update to my 2018 Mac mini, shut it down and unplugged it due to incoming storms last night. This morning it is a brick. No light, sounds, totally dead. I have to work from home and all Apple support did was have me try to zap the PRAM. I’ve been scouring the internet for help and I’m finding a lot of folks with the same problem. With everyone working from home due to COVID-19, Apple needs to fix this now! Tim Cook, please get on this!

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 12:20 PM

Do you have another Mac you can link to it via Target Disk mode and a data USB-C cable?

(note the power USB-C cable used by MacBook Pros will not work).

Hold the 'T' key at startup with a USB keyboard plugged in to try to get it into target mode.

If it brings an icon into the screen, then it is a matter of an incomplete update.

If it brings no icon on the screen, then there is indeed a really bad update. Double check of course the power cord is plugged into a known good power supply (test with a lamp), and the display is usable on another computer with the display cable.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 12:20 PM in response to gregg280

Do you have another Mac you can link to it via Target Disk mode and a data USB-C cable?

(note the power USB-C cable used by MacBook Pros will not work).

Hold the 'T' key at startup with a USB keyboard plugged in to try to get it into target mode.

If it brings an icon into the screen, then it is a matter of an incomplete update.

If it brings no icon on the screen, then there is indeed a really bad update. Double check of course the power cord is plugged into a known good power supply (test with a lamp), and the display is usable on another computer with the display cable.

Catalina update bricked my 2018 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.