Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel PANICS while new MacBook Pro 16 goes to sleep!?

Just set up my new 2019 MBP 16 with latest MacOS (10.15.4). Unfortunately, it frequently crashes when I have it sleep/wake. I close it so it will sleep, but when I open it again to wake and resume, it instead boots and reports a kernel crash. :^(

Based on the 1->0 seen in the section of the crash report below, I'm guessing that it is during the transition to sleeping.

"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff8012016487): \"AppleIntelFramebuffer::setPowerState(0xffffff835a360000 : 0xffffff7f955a8d88, 1 -> 0) timed out after 45981 ms\"@\/AppleInternal\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/xnu\/xnu-6153.101.6\/iokit\/Kernel\/IOServicePM.cpp:5296\nBacktrace (CPU 4), Frame : ...

This is making the laptop useless as a laptop. What can I do?

Thanks!

Greg

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 11:46 PM

Try disabling power nap. That fixed it for me. Looks like Apple botched the 10.15.4 update. Also seems like the supplementary update does not fix this. Here is a more complete thread on the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251223341.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 19, 2020 5:31 AM in response to gregperk

So I’m having the same issue with my base model 16” mbp as many of you are. Tried all of the common fixes (PRAM, SMC, reload OS, etc) and the issue seems to persist. Even with power nap disabled it seems to still happen (albeit more sporadically). Had to call Apple support and send my computer out, they just told me that the logic board and Touch ID bar were replaced (on a 3 week old $2400 laptop 😥). To their credit, the repair turnaround was pretty quick all things considering. With any luck it should be arriving tomorrow, I’ll let you guys know if the problem is resolved with the hw swap. 🤞

Kernel PANICS while new MacBook Pro 16 goes to sleep!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.