Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference In flle size between Aperture vs Quicktime. PLEASE HELP

Hi

I had an iMac with 20 years of family photos and videos and the hard drive was damaged. I sent it to a repair shop and they delivered an external disk with hundred of thousand of files all mixed: photos, what's app attachments, system pics, etc.

It has been a nightmare to order all the files.

I used to have aperture and when apple discontinued it I started using only iPhoto. But the problem is that I am finding all duplicate files with the help of an app called photo sweeper.

My first impulse would be to search for duplicates and automatically keep the pictures with larger file sizes but I found that in general the aperture files look much better (They were probably color edited but I can't be sure) but the size is always about half of the other file I find in the disk that says editing software Quicktime 7.7

I am trying to understand why the same picture, same size, same resolution might be twice the size when it changed from aperture to QuickTime-iPhoto.

If the picture was edited/handled by the Photos app would it be twice as big as the aperture files?

Does it make sense?

Thanks

Isaac

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 12:58 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 14, 2020 3:40 PM in response to léonie

I really don't rememberer how I migrated from Aperture to iPhoto but I did a couple of tests comparing some of the pictures.

There are cases that the image is identical (or at least to my eye) and is just twice the size.

I can't upload the full size images but this are the screenshots of the information of both pics.

I just would like to know why this happens and which file should I keep

thanks!!!

Apr 14, 2020 2:45 AM in response to Isaac Askenazi

It will depend on how you migrated from Aperture to Photos.

If you made a mistake, the resolution of the photos you edited in Aperture will have a lesser quality and file size in Photos. The Photos.app has less editing tools than Aperture and cannot recreate the Aperture adjustments. When you migrate an Aperture Library to Fotos, the original image files will be migrated with the full quality. But the adjustments applied in Aperture will only be migrated as the current previews you created in Aperture. If your Aperture preferences have been to create only small previews to save storage, all your adjusted Aperture images will have a poorer resolution than the original image files. That is why Apple recommends to create full resolution previews in Aperture before migrating an Aperture Library to Fotos for mac.

if you want to remove duplicates, keep the high resolution originals, not the previews adjusted versions. You can always adjust the originals again in Fotos or another application, but you will not be able to create a high-resolution image from a small preview file.

Difference In flle size between Aperture vs Quicktime. PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.