Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated crash in com.apple.appstorefoundation

I purchased an app from the Mac AppStore that failed to install (fully downloaded, but then just spun in launchpad forever) and ever since then I've been getting a crash (seeing it in the Console App)

Report Crash (AppStoreFoundation)

Invalid receipt [0 bytes]

I signed out of AppStore, I turned off the machine over night, I deleted the contents of ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore, signed in with my wife's account. Nothing worked.

Is there any way to clear the appstore cache so that it stops trying to process this receipt?

This is actually OSX 10.15.4, not 10.11 as reported below

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 6:21 AM

3 replies

Apr 14, 2020 7:10 PM in response to riskcatch

Hello riskcatch,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that an app downloaded from the App Store on your Mac failed to install and now you're seeing a repeated "com.apple.appstorefoundation" crash report in Console. You've come to the right place for help.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest restarting the Mac in safe mode, which will clear some system caches:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Restart your Mac to exit safe mode, then test if you're still experiencing the behavior. If so, I'd like to collect a bit more information about what you're encountering. Here are some questions that would be helpful to answer:

1. Is the App Store closing unexpectedly or what behavior specifically are you experiencing?
  2. What steps are you taking when this occurs?
  3. If you're able to load the App Store, can you download or update other apps?

Cheers!

Apr 20, 2020 8:28 AM in response to riskcatch

Hi riskcatch,

Thanks for getting back to us with the additional information. Since you were able to purchase and install a different app, I'd like to have you follow the steps in Request a refund for apps or content that you bought from Apple - Apple Support next. If you need additional assistance with this purchase, you can also contact Apple Support here: Get Support

Take care.

Apr 14, 2020 7:38 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have tried restarting in safe mode. The messages do not appear in the console when I am in safe mode, but return when I log back in normally.

Here's the behavior I witnessed: I purchased an app from the app store by tapping on the "price" button and then "buy". The Buy button turned into the round progress button with the square stop in the middle and it started to install, right as it got to end (circle fully completed) the progress disappeared and turned into the "price" button again. I clicked it again and it said I had already purchased and it would re-download. That did not happen. After a few restarts and a log in/out the app showed up in my purchased items (with the cloud/down arrow button). I clicked that to install the app and it fully download and then just hung -- in the app store the circle progress was 100% but not changing to "open" and in the launchpad it showed the progress bar underneath and inside the launchpad showed the app icon grayed out and "installing..." underneath it. It stayed like this for at least a half hour with a 7.5mb app. ...and the error started in the console and ran every 10 seconds:

ReportCrash (AppStoreFoundation)

Subsystem: com.apple.appstorefoundation

Activity ID: 0 Thread ID: 0x316f PID: 373

Invalid receipt [0 bytes]

Sorry for the rambling. To answer your other questions the App Store is otherwise running as normal, no error messages at all and I was able to purchase and install a different app after this situation.

Repeated crash in com.apple.appstorefoundation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.