Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

? Granting Malwarebytes full Disk Access

Should I give Malwarebytes full disk access? I've been running Pro for > one yr. It's never asked for full access before.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 11:57 AM

First, Dialabrain, please post your credentials!

Why Wouldn't I, Easy!! I allow NO One full access to my computer other than Apple. Malwarebytes is third party and not checking to assure safe and appropriate to allow would be irresponsible especially since it's asking for first time with installation more than a year ago, and Catalina running for > 6mo. Right now there are massive amounts of corrupt threats taking advantage of COVID-19 links and info thus timing questionable.

Smart to protect against inappropriate access; I do, not sure about you considering your tone. After all, why should I trust you to not be a fraud trying to get me to dangerously open access. If you're not, then park your disrespectful "Your Stupid" attitude at the door.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 11:57 AM in response to leroydouglas

First, Dialabrain, please post your credentials!

Why Wouldn't I, Easy!! I allow NO One full access to my computer other than Apple. Malwarebytes is third party and not checking to assure safe and appropriate to allow would be irresponsible especially since it's asking for first time with installation more than a year ago, and Catalina running for > 6mo. Right now there are massive amounts of corrupt threats taking advantage of COVID-19 links and info thus timing questionable.

Smart to protect against inappropriate access; I do, not sure about you considering your tone. After all, why should I trust you to not be a fraud trying to get me to dangerously open access. If you're not, then park your disrespectful "Your Stupid" attitude at the door.

Apr 14, 2020 1:03 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

I certainly would. You typically run Malwarebytes because you have an issue.

My question would be why wouldn't you???

"Allow full Disk Access", with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system. _No_ personal information is revealed.

I think you are confusing Malwarebytes for EtreCheck.

Apr 14, 2020 1:37 PM in response to No_Rs

If you're not going to take the advice of the top contributors here in the support community why do you even post. I have many 3rd party apps that have full disk access.

Many can't do their job without it. If you only use Apple apps you're missing out on a world of outstanding computing experience.

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan, "just say no to unknown links". Here's a great user tip treatise on protecting your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Apr 14, 2020 7:00 AM in response to No_Rs

No_Rs wrote:

Should I give Malwarebytes full disk access? I've been running Pro for > one yr. It's never asked for full access before.

"Allow full Disk Access", with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system. _No_ personal information is revealed.

Apr 14, 2020 12:17 PM in response to No_Rs

I allow NO One full access to my computer other than Apple.

Then you're going to have a very difficult time using your Mac in Catalina, and all other versions of macOS going forward.

As far as credentials? You're talking to other users here, not Apple employees. If you don't like the responses you're getting, then call Apple Support directly with all future questions.

Apple is locking down the OS more and more with each major iteration. Having to manually provide Full Disk Access or other settings are left to the user for one very simple reason: Apple cannot in any way test, or even know about the thousands of possible third party apps you could install. That leaves it up to the user to learn about what is safe to allow in those settings when asked.

Apr 14, 2020 1:15 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

leroydouglas wrote:

"Allow full Disk Access", ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶g̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶7̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶.̶ ̶ ̶_̶N̶o̶_̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶e̶a̶l̶e̶d̶.̶
I think you are confusing Malwarebytes for EtreCheck.

Thx etresoft —Right —cancel that addendum: ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶g̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶7̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶.̶

independent of this correction— you still want to give Malwarebytes Full Disk Access if you want the most help in sort the issue:

"Should I give Malwarebytes full disk access?" Yes.

? Granting Malwarebytes full Disk Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.