Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MalwareBytes wants Full Disk Access?

Just upgraded my Paid MalwareBytes app on my late 2015 iMac running Monterey 12.6.1, and received a prompt: "To fully detect and protect against threats, Malwarebytes needs full disk access." Don't think I've ever seen this before, though I've been using the app for several years. Is this safe to do?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 8:27 PM

Yes, it is safe to do with Malwarebytes; it can only scan your entire disk unless you allow it to do so by giving it Full Disk Access.

Apple has made significant changes to its macOS security model over the past few years. Full Disk Access is one of the newer security features, and it necessitates that you grant permission for an app to have access to your entire disk(s). See Controlling app access to files in macOS - Apple Support for more information.

Think of it this way ... Apple has made macOS more secure. In the past, apps theoretically had access to your entire disk(s) by default. Now they don't unless you give them permission.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 8:27 PM in response to Reuben_Hood

Yes, it is safe to do with Malwarebytes; it can only scan your entire disk unless you allow it to do so by giving it Full Disk Access.

Apple has made significant changes to its macOS security model over the past few years. Full Disk Access is one of the newer security features, and it necessitates that you grant permission for an app to have access to your entire disk(s). See Controlling app access to files in macOS - Apple Support for more information.

Think of it this way ... Apple has made macOS more secure. In the past, apps theoretically had access to your entire disk(s) by default. Now they don't unless you give them permission.

MalwareBytes wants Full Disk Access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.