Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini restarts unexpectedly while loading Recovery Mode

Yesterday, I noticed my Mac mini was off. When I started it up and tried to log in, it restarted during the resume bar.

Since then, I've tried to get into Recovery Mode and it restarts part way through loading as well. So, I put it in Target Disk mode and erased the drive using my MacBook Air. Then with the Air, I created a bootable USB with the Catalina installer and test to see if it worked on the Air. It did without issue.

But, when I put it in the Mini, load the startup manager, select the USB it still tries to use an internet recovery. Internet recovery has the same issue where it restarts part way through loading.

I've though part of the issue may be the T2 chip, but I'm unable to get to the Startup Security Manager since I can not get Recovery Mode to load.

I'm at a loss of what to do.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 8:21 PM

Thank you. I’ve tried all of the above to no avail. Here’s a video of the issue.

https://streamable.com/bz8vnw

It’ll always go to internet recovery even if I tell it otherwise in Startup Disk Manager.

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 14, 2020 10:06 AM in response to ObiusX

Reset the SMC, as per > How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

and the NVRAM, as per > Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

then try Safe Mode, as per > How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If none of those work, try "Internet Recovery" and see if you can reinstall macOS.

see > About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

If you still can not get it going, then you will need to check it for a hardware problem.

see > How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Mac Mini restarts unexpectedly while loading Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.