Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad wont restore

I have an iPad 5th generation that wont restart or restore. When I plug into iTunes I attempt to use 'restore and update' to the factory settings. The software downloads and then when it tries to install on the iPad, i get the error 'an unknown error occurred (10)'. I have tried this process on both an MacBook and also a windows laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else might work? This laptop was working prior to this happening. Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 1:07 AM

Okay, one last try as we have nothing to lose at this point - a full DFU Restore of the iPad. This bypasses the iPad bootloader, forcing the iPad into a recovery mode whereby it can do no other than accept the update. If this fails, you’ve categorically demonstrated that your iPad self-recovery is not possible.

Here is a article from iMore that described the procedure for every iPad/iPhone hardware combination:

https://www.imore.com/how-to-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode

Before starting the process, make certain that you have the most recent version of iTunes installed on your PC/Mac.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 1:07 AM in response to RCipad1

Okay, one last try as we have nothing to lose at this point - a full DFU Restore of the iPad. This bypasses the iPad bootloader, forcing the iPad into a recovery mode whereby it can do no other than accept the update. If this fails, you’ve categorically demonstrated that your iPad self-recovery is not possible.

Here is a article from iMore that described the procedure for every iPad/iPhone hardware combination:

https://www.imore.com/how-to-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode

Before starting the process, make certain that you have the most recent version of iTunes installed on your PC/Mac.

Apr 15, 2020 6:03 AM in response to LotusPilot

The iPad will power up and it will be recognised on iTunes initially.

I then get the prompt to update and restore in iTunes. This is when the iPad won’t go anywhere further and just leaves me with a white screen with the apple logo in the middle and the progress bar at 0. I can’t do anything after this.

I try the process all over again and will only ever get to this stage. it’s appears it won’t respond to the update.

iPad wont restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.