Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Massive battery drain after updating to iOS 13.4.1 on iPhone 11

Before updating to iOS 13.4.1, i can have more screen on time and less battery drain, just like in the picture, 6 hours of screen time with only 40% of battery used, that was on iOS 13.4, after updating to iOS 13.4.1, that isnt the case, battery drains 1% every 2-3 minutes of app switching and using. Well sometimes depends, like if i were to stay on a app for about 10 minutes without switching to another app it drains about 1-2%, which i noticed that its kinda unusual. Until i checked in my settings, Insights already notified me that more battery is used up since upgrading iOS. Gotta mention that i have background app refresh, Siri, spotlight search, siri suggestions, turned off. Also turned off settings that i dont need. Battery health 100%. Reached out for Apple Support on Twitter but they gave me tips on Apple's guide to maximize battery performance and to update my apps to the latest version as they see my most used apps and to contact them after 48 hours if condition still persists. But none of those actually work for me. Really hope that Apple gives an answer on why this happens and also solutions to this, most probably a software update which is likely to be iOS 13.4.5 coz i still see alot of people complaining about iOS 13.4.1 still having a lot of bugs like wanting to share a photo in Photos but options dont appear etc. Hopefully the developers release a stable iOS update to users so they can use their devices during this quarantine period.

^ This was at iOS 13.4, before updating

^This showed up that night after updating

^This is battery usage before updating to iOS 13.4.1 on Wednesday

^As you can see, on Thursday is when i updated to iOS 13.4.1, i skipped to Friday first so you guys can compare the battery usage with Wednesday (which was before updating). On Friday it is shown that i get nearly the same battery usage as Wednesday but less screen on time. Phone does not overheat tho.

*note, you can see 'play', 'delete' buttons coz this was a recorded video sent to Apple Support on Twitter and i took screenshots of it since i cannot send videos*

^Thursday, the day my device is updated to iOS 13.4.1, after finished updating i didnt really notice any difference in battery only until night i notice that my battery drains at a abnormal rate then i realize that something is wrong with my battery.

iPhone 11, 13

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 6:11 AM

Similar questions

34 replies

May 27, 2020 5:54 AM in response to seejunjie

Download the "System Status hw monitor" from the app store (free) & look at the cpu status on the graphs tab. If your phone is still getting hot & battery draining quickly you will almost certainly see that you cpu is running much higher than it should be.

The first image is from when my phone was having real problems getting hot & draining the battery the next is now when my phone is finally back to normal.

May 9, 2020 7:07 AM in response to totoo22

Download the System Status app & check your CPU usage

It will no doubt be at or near 100% when the phone is in use.

The cause is IOS 13 being a heap of rubbish but Apple refuse to acknowledge it.

There are may thread on here about very heavy battery drain, phone getting hot, phone rebooting, phone not knowing how much power the battery does or doesn't have.

May 11, 2020 1:18 AM in response to seejunjie

I have a similar problem on iPhone XR, Apple Watch is draining the battery - notice it the most over night. Seems to be related to calendar synch as per battery status... between 15% and 30%, followed by podcast background activity. Last 10 days, ‘Calendar Notifications, Apple Watch’ has consumed 23%, and 47h19m background....

May 12, 2020 7:43 AM in response to totoo22

This also happen to me with an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

It started happening to me a few weeks ago, also happened with Facebook Messenger, but I suspect after the last update the problem was solved, but no with WhatsApp. It's so annoying how heats up and how the battery drops, I miss when my battery was truly useful.

They need to FIX IT.

May 12, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Tesp_

Well Apple products are good, but just that one major drawback is that their software updates are inconsistent, yes they keep pushing out software updates but still it doesnt solve most users issue on their devices. Take iOS 13 for example, around 35-40% users complained about most of the iOS 13 have battery drain issues on their devices.

May 26, 2020 8:33 PM in response to Pinkhaze0

Yes iOS 13.5 is out and i have updated on my device and battery issue seems to be the same, or maybe even worse. Then I decided to restore my iPhone which most users facing battery drain issues claimed that it solves the problems but doesnt work for my case. Well my last solution is to claim warranty for my device as my phone comes with a 1 year warranty that covers hardware problems only, which battery issue is quite of a common hardware problem, just still waiting for their respond.

May 27, 2020 1:02 AM in response to seejunjie

I just connected my iPhone to my laptop to make sure I have a current backup incase it all goes breasts up again & it would appear that upgrading to 13.5 beta 3 has deleted about 15GB of crap off of my phone.

Where as before the upgrade I had about 15GB free now I have over 30GB free.

Is that maybe what is causing the high cpu usage when trying to index all the crap & looping?

May 27, 2020 6:26 AM in response to Bob Davey1

I dont check my screentime after my battery life turns bad but i never exceeded 4 hours of screentime until today, but i can describe it like watching a 5 min YouTube video drains 1%, constantly switching between 2/3 apps after using for about 5-6 mins per app drains about 4-6%. That might not be accurate but i just noticed this drain is just abnormal compared before i updated to iOS 13.4.1. Before this watching a 10-15 minute video on YouTube will only drain 1% battery, well I will have to monitor my screentime for better comparison.

May 27, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Pinkhaze0

Did you read that article? Apple throttled phones with already failing batteries so that they wouldn't shut off suddenly. And, you don't need to buy a new phone in that circumstance, just a new battery.

What they were fined for was not explaining that clearly to people. Apple was not fined for "ruining battery life" (they didn't) or forcing people to buy a new phone (they didn't do that, either).

Massive battery drain after updating to iOS 13.4.1 on iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.