You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon iPhone 11 doesn't send MMS to Android phones

MMS is enabled, I have followed all of the other steps mentioned in this community from other posters. This still doesn't work. I never had this problem until I got the 11 and it started on day 1. I have always had iPhones and I have always had Verizon. I worked for 3 years in cell phone repair in college and am the family IT guy.

I would never post this question before exhausting all other resources.

iPhone 11

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 7:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 7:41 AM

Contact Verizon.

MMS is a carrier feature. Assuming you have cellular data enabled, it should work if everything is correct on Verizon's end.

If it's not working, Verizon may need to re-provision your account.

9 replies

Apr 22, 2020 11:20 AM in response to KiltedTim

Verizon says it is Apple's fault, and Apple says it is Verizon's fault. I believe it to be Apple's fault as they are the ones who had to go and create their own proprietary messaging protocol outside of the existing carrier standard. Androids don't have this problem. And I can receive images and video from my green friends regardless of their carrier but I cannot send to them.

So... had a call with Verizon technical support yesterday, very long wait times... and they tried some things, had me do some things on the iPhone, nothing. Then they contacted Apple technical support.

I was on hold for most of it, and when they came back on the line, no dice. So the Verizon rep escalated the ticket to 'Level 3'. Said I should have resolution in 3-5 business days. I bet. This has been an issue for 6 months and yes, my MMS is turned on lol

If there is a step, or a setting, or a sequence, I've tried it.

Apr 22, 2020 11:52 AM in response to amev28

amev28 wrote:

I believe it to be Apple's fault as they are the ones who had to go and create their own proprietary messaging protocol outside of the existing carrier standard.

Nope. MMS is MMS. Apple has not altered it at all. This has nothing to do with any proprietary messaging protocol that Apple might have (I assume you're referring to iMessage, which is a proprietary messaging protocol/platform that only applies to Apple devices).

At ANY point, did anyone mention "re-provisioning" your account?

In all likelihood, that's what has to happen. The first couple tiers of support staff you're likely to get probably won't have a clue what that means. Keep pushing them.

Apr 23, 2020 9:49 PM in response to KiltedTim

Then perhaps the title of my post is inaccurate. I mean we can all sit around and say MMS is MMS is MMS, but unless you prove to me you're a telecomm engineer who works in this department, it's just something you believe to be true.

Yes, they re-provisioned the account to no avail. They said they escalated to tier-3 and to wait 3-5 business days. Is there any way for me to know this happened? Of course not. I will wait the time, testing often, and likely just have to call back in and start over with some other person in India named Brian lol

The fact is, is Android to Android on Verizon is no problem. The variable here is the iPhone and iMessage. To say Apple has nothing to do with it makes no sense. I obviously understand that MMS is supposed to be a standard protocol and that it is a service provided by the carrier. Again, remove iMessage and this problem doesn't exist (Android to Android).

Apr 23, 2020 9:55 PM in response to BORg529

Yes. Full timeline of events:

Sept 2019 - Purchased new iPhone 11 at Apple Store. Activated on new Verizon account. New number and everything. I did not have a personal cell phone at the time (company issued). So this was a new account and all.

Jan 2020 - I think I'm cool and switch to Google Fi. I keep the same phone number. Problem begins on day 1 with Google Fi. Work through all the steps you can find online, bupkis.

April 2020 - This problem combined with poor network strength at home finally compel me to switch back to Verizon. As my old account was closed when I switched to Google Fi, I opened a new account with Verizon and ported my number back over to them. So no phone number changes this entire time. Sim card changed each time.

April 2020 - I posted this thread here after multiple rounds with VZW tech support, after multiple rounds of self-serve troubleshooting online of course.

Verizon iPhone 11 doesn't send MMS to Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.