Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro crashes when connected to external monitor

MBP early 2015 retina running 10.15.4 Catalina

Kernel panics when connected to a Dell monitor using display port. Sometimes happens when in use, sometimes when asleep (lid closed) so when I try to wake up it is dead and needs reboot with a message saying it had to restarted because of a problem and the crash log shows a kernel panic.

MBP works perfectly if not connected to an external monitor.

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 12:24 PM

Thanks but the article just goes through the steps to identify the issue but I already know the issue occurs when I connect the Dell external monitor, so I know the cause, I'm really asking if there is a trick/workaround to stop it from crashing with the Dell monitor or do I just have to live with it?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 12:24 PM in response to JessS19

Thanks but the article just goes through the steps to identify the issue but I already know the issue occurs when I connect the Dell external monitor, so I know the cause, I'm really asking if there is a trick/workaround to stop it from crashing with the Dell monitor or do I just have to live with it?

Apr 17, 2020 10:09 AM in response to hrees99

Hey, hrees99.

Thanks for letting me know that you’ve already completed those steps. Since this issue only happens when connected to an external display, please also complete these steps: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac 

If the issue persists, consider testing a different cable or monitor to fully isolate the issue. 

Take care. 

macbook pro crashes when connected to external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.