Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extracting Info data in Photos app

I have a large referenced photo library in Photos App originally scanned from negatives. I would like to able to copy the info that I have added in Photos (like description, or date) back to the EXIF data on the original files. Is there a way of doing this automatically?

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 3:19 PM

No. To tie the IPTC data to the original file it must be exported as original with the option to include an XML file with the export. When that image file and it's XML file are imported into an app that uses XML (IPTC) metadata it will be associated with the image.

If you export as a modified file with these checkboxes checked the metadata will be embedded in the exported file:

Set JPEG Quality to High or Maximum.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Old_man_Bob

No. To tie the IPTC data to the original file it must be exported as original with the option to include an XML file with the export. When that image file and it's XML file are imported into an app that uses XML (IPTC) metadata it will be associated with the image.

If you export as a modified file with these checkboxes checked the metadata will be embedded in the exported file:

Set JPEG Quality to High or Maximum.

Extracting Info data in Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.