Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relationship of iCloud Photos via browser vs. iCloud Photos app on PC?

I have two ways of accessing iCloud Photos on my PC (listed below). What is their relationship?

Access via iCloud.com using a browser -

I can specify the Apple ID I want to use and it is quite intuitive.

Access via the iCloud Photos app on my PC -

+ when I start this app it takes me to the iCloud Photos directory on my PC.

+ there are three directories/albums: upload, download and shared.

+ how are the three directories/albums related to what I can access via iCloud.com???

+ is there documentation on how these two access methods work together?

+ when using this access method the Apple ID is fixed. How is it fixed in the first place and how can I change it?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 3:46 PM

When you log into iCloud via a browser photos are not automatically downloaded to your PC (although you can manually select and download photos).

iCloud Photos in iCloud For Windows is used to automatically sync photos from iCloud to your PC. After it is set up on your PC, any new photos that are synced to iCloud (e.g., photos taken on an iPhone where iCloud Photos is turned on) will automatically sync to the PC. The Apple ID is entered when you set up and sign into iCloud for Windows. More information in:

Set up and use iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

and

Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2020 3:46 PM in response to lachlan stanley

When you log into iCloud via a browser photos are not automatically downloaded to your PC (although you can manually select and download photos).

iCloud Photos in iCloud For Windows is used to automatically sync photos from iCloud to your PC. After it is set up on your PC, any new photos that are synced to iCloud (e.g., photos taken on an iPhone where iCloud Photos is turned on) will automatically sync to the PC. The Apple ID is entered when you set up and sign into iCloud for Windows. More information in:

Set up and use iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

and

Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support

Relationship of iCloud Photos via browser vs. iCloud Photos app on PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.