Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Issue

I have a MBA running Sierra. This is a teachers laptop and I am signed in under her account. Frequently, the "Accountsd Wants to Use the Login Keychain" message will appear and after I enter the password to the account it will disappear. It doesn't always appear but something prompts it to appear.

Obviously there is no Keychain First Aid anymore so I can't use it. I don't really want to mess around too much with the laptop because it is not mine and I don't want to lose anything saved.

Does the Apple ID have anything to do with "Accountsd....." message?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 6:07 PM

8 replies

Apr 16, 2020 7:15 AM in response to John Galt

I have already looked at the support document (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609) and I don't know if changing the password for "login" will resolve the issue.

However now I am getting "com.apple.icloudHelper wants to use "login" keychain" message. I don't know if changing the password for "login" as described in the document will resolve ANY keychain message where it wants the password.

Going forward, I need to resolve this issue so it doesn't keep asking and prompting for a password. Then I can give back the laptop to the teacher.

I am cautious about doing anything with Keychain because it is not my passwords and related information.

Apr 16, 2020 8:57 AM in response to pfisher112

Once again you are asking about fixing a device that is not yours to fix. Either return it to its owner or have them properly transfer ownership to you, after which you can erase it and configure it as your own.

Please refer to What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support. Besides the obvious concerns with altering a Mac that is not yours, you will encounter continual problems with it until you comply with that procedure.

Apr 16, 2020 10:05 AM in response to pfisher112

... it is my job to provide technology support for District own devices including this laptop.

That's the first time you identified yourself as such. Resources for Education appears at the top of all these pages. It's written for you.

Devices deployed for institutional use need to be managed. As that district's technology expert I suggest you start there, and continue with Deployment Reference for Mac.

Apr 16, 2020 8:00 AM in response to John Galt

Update- After getting "Safari wants to use the login keychain" message and another keychain message, I decided to change the Login password. I chose "Change password for Keychain login" option then I restarted the laptop.

After it restarted and I sign in again I got "Spotlight wants to use the login keychain" message. I entered the new password and disappeared.

Now Safari is asking for the password again. Obviously, changing the "password for Keychain login" didn't resolve the overall problem and is not a solution.

Apr 16, 2020 9:43 AM in response to John Galt

Once again, I will repeat myself. The teacher and I both work for the same school district. She is a teacher and I am in the technology department. The laptop.....you are stuck on.....is a District owned device. It does not belong to her. The only "personal" stuff on this laptop is passwords and files which she uses for distant learning.

Since I work in the technology department, it is my job to provide technology support for District own devices including this laptop.

Keychain Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.