Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues connecting USB storage device to MBP using USB-C hub

Hi,

I have a MBP 15inch 2019 model running catalina 10.15.4. I am trying to connect a Sandisk 32GB 3.0 USB and an old Kobo i have to my MBP. However, neither of these devices are detected on my mac. I have also tested an old 8GB sandisk 2.0 device. This USB stick works ok.

I have tried connecting these devices to the MBP using the official apple USB C hub and a Novoo USB-C hub. The issues are the same using both hubs. Heres some observations.

32GB USB drive (fat32) - the drive does not show up in finder, disk utility or if i run df in terminal. This has been tested with both USB-C hubs and the same issue is observed across each of them. This USB has been tested on my 2010 MBP (high sierra) and my android TV and it works fine with no issues.

8GB sandisk 2.0 device (fat32) - works fine on my MBP 2019, 2010 and android TV.

Kobo - the drive does not show up in finder, disk utility or if i run df in terminal. This has been tested with both USB-C hubs and the same issue is observed across each of them. This USB has been tested on my 2010 MBP (high sierra) and it works fine. One thing to note is the device actually begins charging when connected to both USB-C hubs.

Additional info

+ Applications > Utilities > System Information - both USB C hubs are detected.

+ Applications > Utilities > System Information - the 8GB USB is detected but the 32GB and kobo are not

+ i checked /var/log/system.log but i could not see any errors.

+ I tried restarting my laptop several times.

+ I am on the latest catalina version. I am unaware if these devices worked on previous versions of catalina.

+ I tested the USB hubs in multiple USB C ports on the laptop.

+ I tested the devices individually on each hub to ensure it wasnt a power issue - not that it should be with these two devices.

+ Followed this guide but no progress - https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp1641/mac

+ I have double checked the finder preferences and they are set to show external drives.

+ I have checked in console and i dont seem to be able to see any errors under system.log or in the log reports.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I am just hoping ive missed something really simple...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 6:03 AM

Rollin_1 wrote:
I am trying to connect a Sandisk 32GB 3.0 USB and an old Kobo i

If you worked through https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp1641/mac

then it sounds like the USB's are not compatible or The hub is not fully compatible

Try a Apple branded adapter to test—USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 6:03 AM in response to Rollin_1

Rollin_1 wrote:
I am trying to connect a Sandisk 32GB 3.0 USB and an old Kobo i

If you worked through https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp1641/mac

then it sounds like the USB's are not compatible or The hub is not fully compatible

Try a Apple branded adapter to test—USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Issues connecting USB storage device to MBP using USB-C hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.