Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

corruption on external disk

Has anyone experienced file corruption when saving data to an external SSD?

In this case mine is a Sandisk Extreme Portable 1TB, using a Satechi USB C hub, the one advertised on the Apple store.

i copy a video to the disk and when played back, sometimes the playback shows video loss, this shows on my iPad as a stutter and on a Win10 PC as tearing in the video stream.

I didn’t get any error message when it was copied, so would assume it was ok, but when the disk is plugged into the Windows PC a message pops up saying the drive has problems, doing a command line chkdsk on the PC reports many errors and file corruption. If I choose to repair the disk, the video is unplayable. I can reformat the disk and the problem occurs again when a file is copied to the disk from within the iPad. If I copy a file from within Windows, all seems well.

At the moment I can’t be confident that the drive is somehow corrupt as each time a file is copied to it in the iPad, the Windows PC reports an error.

The corruption might also be occurring due to removing the disk from the iPad, as unlike Windows there’s no utility to unmount it. I’ve tried switching the iPad off and closing the files app but to no avail.

your thoughts and experiences would be most welcome as I need to decide if I need to return the Sandisk SSD back to the supplier.

Cheers, keep safe everyone.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 6:41 AM

The problem with advanced SSD drives, when used with iPad, is that of the drive design.

For both high performance and minimising of write-cycles (that shorten the life of the drive), some drives employ internal write-buffers - the purpose of which is to allow data to be efficiently written to the drive in blocks. Whilst the host computer believes that it has stored data to the drive, the internal drive controller often retains data in its buffer until a full block can be written to the drive. Until such time as the controller purges this buffer to flash storage, any data in the buffer will be lost if unexpectedly disconnected from the host computer.

For this reason, unless the External drive is configured for “quick removal” (effectively disabling internal buffering), the drive needs to be warned (by the host) of an impending dismount - allowing adequate time for buffered data to be written to non-volatile storage. On Windows PC, this warning is facilitated by a manual dismount from the filesystem prior to disconnection of the drive. By contrast, if the drive is configured for quick removal, the drive can be disconnected at any time that the drive does not indicate activity.

A drive that is manually dismounted will typically set a “clean switch” - that, upon reconnection, indicates to the host that the drive was correctly dismounted without corruption. If the “clean switch” is not detected upon mount, the OS assumes that the drive must be checked and corruptions repaired prior to a successful “mount” operation.

iPadOS doesn’t provide a “dismount” mechanism or an ability to mark the drive as clean - nor can it scan and correct drive errors. As such, an attached filesystem is assumed to be capable of “quick removal”.

It follows, therefore, that if an external drive is not configured for quick removal, then write-errors/corruption is likely to occur.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 6:41 AM in response to Geebee_uk

The problem with advanced SSD drives, when used with iPad, is that of the drive design.

For both high performance and minimising of write-cycles (that shorten the life of the drive), some drives employ internal write-buffers - the purpose of which is to allow data to be efficiently written to the drive in blocks. Whilst the host computer believes that it has stored data to the drive, the internal drive controller often retains data in its buffer until a full block can be written to the drive. Until such time as the controller purges this buffer to flash storage, any data in the buffer will be lost if unexpectedly disconnected from the host computer.

For this reason, unless the External drive is configured for “quick removal” (effectively disabling internal buffering), the drive needs to be warned (by the host) of an impending dismount - allowing adequate time for buffered data to be written to non-volatile storage. On Windows PC, this warning is facilitated by a manual dismount from the filesystem prior to disconnection of the drive. By contrast, if the drive is configured for quick removal, the drive can be disconnected at any time that the drive does not indicate activity.

A drive that is manually dismounted will typically set a “clean switch” - that, upon reconnection, indicates to the host that the drive was correctly dismounted without corruption. If the “clean switch” is not detected upon mount, the OS assumes that the drive must be checked and corruptions repaired prior to a successful “mount” operation.

iPadOS doesn’t provide a “dismount” mechanism or an ability to mark the drive as clean - nor can it scan and correct drive errors. As such, an attached filesystem is assumed to be capable of “quick removal”.

It follows, therefore, that if an external drive is not configured for quick removal, then write-errors/corruption is likely to occur.

corruption on external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.